Structural wall DIY

Options
Hi all,
I've finally exchanged on my house and complete late next month (let the budget DIY commence)
Basically, the kitchen is pretty small and the plan is to knock down the supporting wall between the kitchen and the lounge. Ive had a couple of quotes and just feel like the labour for a reasonably simple job is too high and would like to do it myself if possible. I have set aside 600 quid for the building control and the structural engineers fees but am still getting quotes for around 2-3 grand.

Now it gets interesting, my girlfriend's dad is an ex builder and has done a couple of these jobs before and reckons we could get it done in a weekend excluding plastering. He doesn't want cash but I'll pay him . My only issue with this is the insurance aspect, and something going wrong and the house falling in. Is there a DIY insurance I can get.

I appreciate this is a long post but I'm pretty strapped for cash and the kitchen is an absolute state.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I doubt you will get insurance against demolishing your house because of your negligence, which is what you would need.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Is there no way of splitting the job in two with the expert inserting the beam/pads etc and with you removing the remaining wall which is not now holding anything up and deal with boxing in the beam, floor repair, plastering etc.[/FONT]
  • roger-w5
    roger-w5 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    The person doing the work usually has adequate public liability insurance and its sensible for a house holder to check a trades person has liability insurance.

Helptobuy18.Ask your insurance company.Email (dont phone) them and see what they come up with,they can impose an extra one off payment to cover single building events.

good luck,enjoy the dust.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,969 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your girlfriend's dad can probably get public liability insurance as a sole trader. If he earns less than £1000 in the tax year, he won't have to tell HMRC that he is operating a sole trader, and he can stop being a sole trader once he has done your wall for you.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Now it gets interesting, my girlfriend's dad is an ex builder and has done a couple of these jobs before and reckons we could get it done in a weekend excluding plastering. He doesn't want cash but I'll pay him . My only issue with this is the insurance aspect, and something going wrong and the house falling in. Is there a DIY insurance I can get.

Coming to it from a slightly different perspective, if the girlfriend's dad is competent, then the risk of him causing the house to collapse should be low, and therefore the likelihood of having to claim on a DIY insurance policy is vanishingly small.

If he isn't competent and causes the house to collapse, then you are likely to be too busy helping to arrange funerals (unless one of them is your own) and perhaps helping the police with their enquiries, to really be that interested in making a claim on the insurance, even though the insurance may help pay for some of the costs involved.

In other words, if you have doubts about his competence then you shouldn't be using him. Buildings don't collapse during building works due to accidents, they collapse due to incompetent builders/DIYers.

I'd suggest you need to think more carefully about involving the girlfriend's dad. In aviation safety there is something called the 'power gradient' - things go wrong where the less experienced first officer is scared to challenge the decisions/actions of the more experienced pilot.

You could find yourself in the same position - for example if your structural engineer specifies a 200mm bearing but the girlfriend's dad says 100mm is enough, who are you going to go with, and how will the dad react if you (with little experience) tell him you want something different to what he (with lots of experience) wants. It is your house, but will you be allowed to make your own decisions about it? Having the girlfriend's dad do work for you could be a quick way to make her an ex-girlfriend if the project doesn't work out well. :(

And if the girlfriend's dad's suggestion is to do the job in a weekend without any involvement by a structural engineer and building control (on the basis he's done a couple before and thinks he knows what he's doing) then his competence has to be questioned and you should find yourself a proper builder, rather than trying to get insurance in case he makes your house fall down.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would be questioning the competence of someone that's done it a 'couple' of times.

Was he on new builds or something? To be a builder and manage to only have experienced knocking through a 'couple of times' takes some quite advanced avoidance methods.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,232 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 19 June 2018 at 9:16PM
    Options
    Putting in a beam isn't necessarily difficult or complicated (if at least one person involved knows what they are doing and has competent assistance)and can certainly be done in a short time and the entire job completed in phases.

What is essential however is that your calculations and plans are drawn up by a suitably qualified and competent person. It is also imperative that the joists above are suitably supported throughout.

OP your post is a little unclear, are you saying you will get the plans drawn up professionally, apply for building regs then with gf's dad put in the beam? If so, if you're sure he is a competent builder then it could work out fine, but you must follow the plans to the letter and get everything checked and signed off. If you go off piste so to speak your house will be potentially unsafe, uninsurable and unmortgageable.
  • daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,232 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    (Second reply to avoid over long post)

Just to muddy the waters but OP you talk of renovating the kitchen so perhaps you should consider what that will entail. Re-wire? New plumbing? Plastering/making good? Much of your professional quotes will be making good after putting in the beam in which case waiting to get it all done professionally in one go would avoid the worry the DIY and be pretty cost effective too. You would also avoid the 'fun' of all the clearing up (it's amazing how much rubble a small wall makes) and ,unless you can borrow them free, the cost of buying or hiring all the tools needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure