Have DemonPlates tricked me into paying additional postage?

Options

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ""Certain people are unaware that proper identification and valid DVLA paperwork are required in order to purchase number plates within the United Kingdom. This sensible UK law is designed to stop the practice of auto cloning. However, the process of presenting the right ID and documentation isn!!!8217;t too complex or long-winded. It!!!8217;s actually a simple and straightforward process and completing it quickly should not be a problem. To assist you with getting your plates in a timely fashion, we will begin to manufacture your new plates as soon as your payment is processed.
    In order to comply with UK laws, you!!!8217;ll need to send crisp pictures of your ID and DVLA-approved documentation to our company via electronic mail. When you do this in short order, you!!!8217;ll be able to get your number plates as soon as possible. Please consult our list of accepted documents in order to find out what you will need to digitally photograph and email.""
    Just curious, did they receive the info they needed to send the plates off or was there some delay?

Legally they need to see the original documents, they're not complying with legislation by doing it all online.
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Go on then explain how you do it online.

Is this for real? In 2018 I find it difficult to believe that somebody is not aware of how documents can be scanned and submitted electronically - especially on an internet discussion forum!

The seller is required to see documentation, not physically hold the original in their hands.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bazzyb wrote: »
    Is this for real? In 2018 I find it difficult to believe that somebody is not aware of how documents can be scanned and submitted electronically - especially on an internet discussion forum!

The seller is required to see documentation, not physically hold the original in their hands.

Yes, see originals not copies.

Can you not comprehend the law predates electronic copies?

If you don't agree show us the amendment to that legislation.
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

My sincere apologies, I had completely forgotten that scanners, email, the internet, photocopiers and fax machines were all invented after the 2008 legislation.

As per my previous post, I have not seen anything in there that says original proofs need to be physically handled and inspected. If I am mistaken and have missed this somewhere it would be much more helpful for you to clarify what you are referring to, especially when other posters have also confirmed there is no requirement for this in the legislation.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm now waiting for a compo claim for distress and overcharging. Until then its a dead duck as far as I'm concerned.:rotfl::rotfl:
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bazzyb wrote: »
    My sincere apologies, I had completely forgotten that scanners, email, the internet, photocopiers and fax machines were all invented after the 2008 legislation.

As per my previous post, I have not seen anything in there that says original proofs need to be physically handled and inspected. If I am mistaken and have missed this somewhere it would be much more helpful for you to clarify what you are referring to, especially when other posters have also confirmed there is no requirement for this in the legislation.

Registration of Registration Plate Suppliers 2008 - Schedule: verification ducunents. Makes no reference of copies, scans, faxs or even certified copies being accepted.

But then I stand to be corrected with you show me the legislation.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The only mention of copies I can see if the supplier can keep a copy of the document as a record of the documents used for verification.
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 10 August 2018 at 3:16PM
    Options

They did see originals. I sent them a photo of the original V5. If anything, they now have saved, documented proof of what they've seen. A photo of my V5 sent from my email address.

Can you not comprehend that none of this makes any difference to whether or not they should have charged me an additional £3.99?

I followed all the rules of their website, a website I checked was legit using DVLA's own website.

If their practices are not lawful, that is absolutely not my problem. The plates are legal and I legally own the registration.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Supersonos wrote: »
    They did see originals. I sent them a photo of the original V5. If anything, they now have saved, documented proof of what they've seen. A photo of my V5 sent from my email address.

Can you not comprehend that none of this makes any difference to whether or not they should have charged me an additional £3.99?

I followed all the rules of their website, a website I checked was legit using DVLA's own website.

Their practices are not lawful, that is absolutely not my problem. The plates are legal and I legally own the registration.

You chose the express dispatch and they didn't see the originals they saw a copy.
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You chose the express dispatch and they didn't see the originals they saw a copy.

No, they definitely saw a photo of the original. I have it here next to me now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure