PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Using nails and screws in a rented property

Options
Hi
I have just moved in to a rented house and my contract says I can put things on the walls with nails but nothing sticky .
Would u think this includes screws too or just nails ?

May sound daft but I have never rented before ?

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ask for permission from your LL.

When renting I put up 2 pictures and a mirror. We got permission 1st
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you will be ok to use screws, providing you use nails where possible, and only use screws for bigger items. Your should drill any holes very carefully, paying attention to the safe areas defined for electrical cables. You really need to use a stud finder/metal detector/voltage detector before you drill, to make sure you avoid drilling into any cables or pipes. You will be liable for the cost of repairing any damage either from nails or screws so be really careful about where you fix into the walls.

At the end of the tenancy, you should remove any nails, screws and wall plugs and fill the holes with Polyfilla or similar hard filler.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • restless6
    restless6 Posts: 468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the advice
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What does it say in your agreement about making good the holes when you leave?

An important fact to consider and if no mention is made in the agreement then I would perhaps get the LL's permission before hammering into the walls.

Don't want you to be led into a false sense of security where the agreement says you can use nails and some pages later it tells you you will be charged to make good any holes.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • studentguy
    studentguy Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Personally, as long as you put it right, or are prepared to lose some of your deposit at the end of the tenancy for the LL to put it right, that should be okay. That's what I've done when renting anyway
    Despite my name, I'm not a student any more
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't use premixed polyfilla type stuff, I tend to buy boxes of plaster filler. You add water til its very thick and apply. Its easy to sand down rather than pollyfiller types which seem to harden til its like concrete.
  • fishpond
    fishpond Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ask the landlord in writing, get a reply in writing.
    I am a LandLord,(under review) so there!:p
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Options
    fishpond wrote: »
    Ask the landlord in writing, get a reply in writing.
    And if the LL refuses? One could argue that they are preventing you from "quietly enjoying" the property...

I was used to ask for permission, until once the LL refused, for a brand new unfurnished property, when I asked to be allowed to screw the top brackets of free standing wardrobe and chests of drawers to the wall. So they don't fall over my children. Asked her to reconsider, after all the contract demanded be to ask for permission and such permission shouldn't be unreasonable withheld, only to be told in no uncertain terms "Absolutely no screws or holes to be put in the walls"

Afterwards I adopted the principle - it's easier to ask for forgiveness, than for permission. Screw and nail whatever I want, then just fix the holes before checkout, no one noticed them to date.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    Options
    sal_III wrote: »

Afterwards I adopted the principle - it's easier to ask for forgiveness, than for permission. Screw and nail whatever I want, then just fix the holes before checkout, no one noticed them to date.

but presumably if it is noted on check out that you have not left the walls in the same condition you are happy for a deposit deduction for repair to be considered?

Out of interest has that meant that you have filled the holes and colour matched the paint,which in my opinion as a LL would be perfectly acceptable.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What is it you want to hang on the walls? I didn't use screws, pins or nails to fix things on the walls of places I rented just because I couldn't be bothered dealing with the ballache it would cause when getting my deposit back at the end of the tenancy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure