PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Who is responsible for GAS safety check...

Options
Hi,

Does anyone know who is responsible for the annual gas safety check, the landlord or the tenants?

I live in a shared house.....should the landlady be the one who oversees and is present during this check or is it down to the tenants?

Thanks.

Comments

• CommitedToChange
    Options
    Landlord - though you can be present.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Always the landlord (obviously to be honest!)
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Options
    The only person who needs to be present is the gas person doing the testing. Though I'm sure they're always delighted to have an audience.
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    The responsibility to get the certification is that of the LL.
    There is no requirement for anyone other than the registered person carrying out the check to be present,although there is nothing to say the tenant can't be there or indeed the LL if they give you sufficient notice of their attendance.

An annual GS certification is required by law and it is advisable that both tenants and the LL co operate with eachother to achieve it.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • surfer9
    surfer9 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah, I expected so. Just I read something that seemed to say the tenant needed to be.

Just our landlord tries to avoid doing anything. I think our landlord is expecting us to be here while they just sit at home with their feet up, even though it's their house to manage.
  • surfer9
    surfer9 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure I will bother informing the landlord it is their duty. It is their problem.

No doubt the landlord will have a go at us for not arranging it and overseeing it, neglecting the fact it is their job to do so. Seeing as everything in this house is blamed on us and for us to manage, like fixing the internet because one one side of the house it didn't work - the landlord expected that tenant to sort it out himself. As well as her being our cleaner, but expecting the house to be clean for her before she comes around. As well as complaining she has to stay here for an extra few minutes more than an hour sometimes to clean, yet some weeks she doesn't even turn up.
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    So when does your current certificate expire?
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    surfer9 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I will bother informing the landlord it is their duty. It is their problem.

So you're going to put your own safety at risk for no good reason.

Sounds like a stupid idea to me.
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    surfer9 wrote: »
    Yeah, I expected so. Just I read something that seemed to say the tenant needed to be.

Just our landlord tries to avoid doing anything. I think our landlord is expecting us to be here while they just sit at home with their feet up, even though it's their house to manage.

I agree that the management of the property lies with the LL but they are not there to babysit the tenants.

I suspect your woes run deep with how they "manage" the property,but your posts also seem to suggest that you may nor be the most willing or proactive tenants either!
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    I agree that the management of the property lies with the LL but they are not there to babysit the tenants.

I suspect your woes run deep with how they "manage" the property,but your posts also seem to suggest that you may nor be the most willing or proactive tenants either!

What's one of those? Is there a criteria?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure