LED light bulbs

Options

Comments

• WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options

Could you please tell me how the LED light was able to provide a larger source of light 8ft straight down from the source than the halogen, (at this point it's not completely relevant but interestingly enough the Halogen showed signs of failing lighting after only 16 hours). The test also showed there was a huge amount of wastage outside of the 38 degree beam angle for the Halogen and literally none on the LED product.

I will be interested for you to apply the theories of Lumens and Lux to this situation and hear your obvious expert opinion.

Thanks

Can you clarify the "wastage" point please? Most of us buy lights to illuminate a room - halogen spots are often chosen because of the tidy appearance of the fittings rather than because we want to spot illuminate something. Case in point being my kitchen - I have 7 spots in there - I don't have 7 specific workstations I want illuminated, I just want the room bright enough to work in. So if by wastage you mean light going outside the intended beam angle, that's not a problem, it is in fact beneficial because otherwise I'd need a lot more tightly directed lights to light my 13ft square kitchen.

That said until its possible to be sure that all the dimensions of the bulb are compatible with existing fittings (e.g. my earlier point about the lip not fitting within spring clip fittings) no-one sensible is going to risk £30 on a bulb they can't be sure will fit.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • Scoobs72
    Scoobs72 Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    WestonDave wrote: »
    Can you clarify the "wastage" point please? Most of us buy lights to illuminate a room - halogen spots are often chosen because of the tidy appearance of the fittings rather than because we want to spot illuminate something. Case in point being my kitchen - I have 7 spots in there - I don't have 7 specific workstations I want illuminated, I just want the room bright enough to work in. So if by wastage you mean light going outside the intended beam angle, that's not a problem, it is in fact beneficial because otherwise I'd need a lot more tightly directed lights to light my 13ft square kitchen.

That said until its possible to be sure that all the dimensions of the bulb are compatible with existing fittings (e.g. my earlier point about the lip not fitting within spring clip fittings) no-one sensible is going to risk £30 on a bulb they can't be sure will fit.

Absolutely. The whole argument is nonsense because Halogen's don't 'waste' light. Sure you may have some halogens that don't hold their 38 degree beam angle well, so the light 'spills' over outside the 38 degree beam, but that doesn't 'waste' the light'.

Fact is, all Mr LEDLighting is doing is importing a couple of brands of LED bulbs and selling them on his website. They are the exact same bulbs that you can buy at Lightplanet.co.uk and the GU10's come from Aeon Lighting, being their Asteria V5 series.

It's not rocket science buying LED bulbs. Just look at the lumens and the beam angle. Until I see an LED with 600+ lumen to replace my 35 Watt Halogens I'm not buying any more. And you can guess where I won't be going to buy them.
  • alexlyne
    alexlyne Posts: 740 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I normally add my 2c to led lighting discussions, as I have been dipping my toes in every couple of years.
    My best advice is suck one and see. Buy one for around or under a tenner (not from high street) and plug it in to see if it achieves what you want it to. I have 1w ones from a few years back that are terrible. I have 1.3w ones that are equally as bad. I bought one recently that cost £12 and I thought it was very good, and have now bought a pile off ebay that cost £6 each (GU10s and SESs: search for 'jdr 60led') that now adorn nearly our entire house.
    Will they last? who knows, I hope so.

Oh, and the basis for my opinion? I did a test in a room between a 1.2w, a 3(ish)w and a 50w hal - taking photos of each. The 1.2w was terrible (as expected), but the halogen and 3w led were similar in light output intensity (halogen slightly better), the led had a much flatter and brighter light over a larger area (halogen had a bright spot in centre of beam), and the halogen was warmer light, not that the led was that cold. Now we have them in the lounge (a row of 4 bulbs), the room is definitely a bit darker than with halogens, but definitely suitable for purpose. The leds are excellent in our hallways as we have 3 lots of 3xspots in not much space. The kitchen (a 3x3x2.4m room with 3 spots in centre) is certainly OK, though I'd prefer it a little bit brighter.

To repeat, don't buy from B&Q et al... the ones I saw quoted 8W or 10W equivalent!! I mean, what are they good for? Still, at least they do quote these values which are good as a guide.
  • LEDlighting
    LEDlighting Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    alexlyne wrote: »
    I
    To repeat, don't buy from B&Q et al... the ones I saw quoted 8W or 10W equivalent!! I mean, what are they good for? Still, at least they do quote these values which are good as a guide.

This is excellent advice and i couldn't agree more. :T
  • samtheman1k
    samtheman1k Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lidl bulbs seem to only have a lifespan of 25,000 hours

Do you actually realise how long that equates to under normal usage?
  • LEDlighting
    Options
    Do you actually realise how long that equates to under normal usage?

Yes of course, but it it is considerably shorter than the industry standard for a quality product. I personally wouldn't be interested in anything that states less than 35,000 hours.
  • samtheman1k
    samtheman1k Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that 10 years usage (at 8 hrs day) is pretty acceptable for most people and they won't complain too much!
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    25,000, 35,000, a million - either way the volt drop capacitors will have melted long before any of these times are up.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • LEDlighting
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that 10 years usage (at 8 hrs day) is pretty acceptable for most people and they won't complain too much!

You will always see the best LED products having a longer lifespan than the rest. This not only represents better value for a customer, but it also reflects build quality and the quality of the materials used.

The reason the best LED products are more expensive than some you will see on ebay on in B&Q etc are that the best materials are used to make them. The chipsets are better and more reliable, the materials used for heat dissipation are better and more reliable and the better manufacturers have invested in the correct equipment with which to develop and test their products.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,631 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Like CFL bulbs, the price is bound to fall as they come into more widespread use. More than a year ago, I wanted some "candle" CFL bulbs but wasn't prepared the £2ish price being asked for them and decided I would wait until they dropped below £1. Got some for 20p in the end. Worth the wait!

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure