Great 'Use of Xmas Leftovers' Hunt

Options
Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
It's always the same after Christmas, loads of food left, but no energy to cook. The turkey sandwich is always a classic, but we're asking MoneySavers for a more adventurous use of their Xmas leftovers.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• dawnylou
    dawnylou Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    edited 4 January 2010 at 1:21PM
    Options
    I chopped up my leftover sprouts and mashed them into some mashed potatoe, added some chopped coked bacon, shaped them into burgers and fried them in olive oil until crispy and golden brown. Served with beans :)

We froze the rest of the meat in '2 serving' portions and plan on ham, egg and chips one day and turkey curry another, as well as various broths/soups :)
    Dream of being mortgage free....
    APR 2007 - £109,825 FEB 2012 - £98,664.53:beer:

• Pitlanepiglet
    Options
    Turkey and ham quiche for us!
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • Cybrin
    Cybrin Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 4 January 2010 at 1:22PM
    Options
    We had quite a lot of leftover turkey and stuffing this year, the leftover turkey meat, as usual, was leg and wing meat.
    My partner doesn't really like 'dark' meat and is put off by bones etc. so I hit upon an idea.
    I removed the turkey meat from the legs and wings, diced it, along with the stuffing and made up some batter (for yorkshire puddings, don't forget the salt or it won't rise!) and mixed it all together before popping it into the oven, in a preheated oven dish with a little oil in it, on a high heat and waited for it to rise & brown.
    It was delicious, my partner loved it, as did our baby daughter.
    I'm going to do that with leftovers every year now, make a tradition of it I think :D
  • madmoys
    madmoys Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cybrin wrote: »
    We had quite a lot of leftover turkey and stuffing this year, the leftover turkey meat, as usual, was leg and wing meat.
    My partner doesn't really like 'dark' meat and is put off by bones etc. so I hit upon an idea.
    I removed the turkey meat from the legs and wings, diced it, along with the stuffing and made up some batter (for yorkshire puddings, don't forget the salt or it won't rise!) and mixed it all together before popping it into the oven, in a preheated oven dish with a little oil in it, on a high heat and waited for it to rise & brown.
    It was delicious, my partner loved it, as did our baby daughter.
    I'm going to do that with leftovers every year now, make a tradition of it I think :D

Mmmm like the sound of that, will give it a go, thank :beer:
  • anneneal1
    Options
    My husband has chopped up the turkey and ham and today I'm making a huge batch of ham and tomato pasta sauce (fry onions, peppers, add ham, chopped tinned toms and dried herbs). Will make curry with some of turkey (fry onions, green pepper, celery, apple, add turkey, tbsp flour, tsp paprika, curry powder, garlic powder, stir, add chicken stock and sultanas), rest of turkey will go into freezer for fricasse. Will freeze the curry and pasta sauce in batches for new year.
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bubble & squeak is a classic. Fry some meat, add some onions, add leftover veg eg cabbage, carrots and potatoes. Add a few chilli flakes to flavour things up a bit. Fry until crispy and brown. Serve with brown sauce!

Turkey curry, Balti style. Pataks do curry pastes/sauces that Jamie Oliver recommends in one of his books. I used the Balti one (there's also Tikka Masala, Korma, etc). Add a third of the jar to your diced turkey (I like to leave it to marinate). Meanwhile fry a chopped onion, add the meat and fry until sealed. Add a tin of chopped tomatoes and some water until you get a consistency you like. Cook for about half an hour. Serve with bread or naan bread.
    :T
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • pookienoodle
    Options
    we dind't have Turkey this year we had a leg of lamb instead but I really missed the turkey a la king we usually make with the leftovers.
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    we dind't have Turkey this year we had a leg of lamb instead but I really missed the turkey a la king we usually make with the leftovers.
    We did the same as lamb was half price. We've had bubble and squeak, cheesy veg fritters, lamb sandwiches and tonight I've going to make this with the remains of the sprouts

Lentil and sprout curry

Preparation time over 2 hours (need to soak lentils)
    Cooking time 10 to 30 mins
    Serves 4 - 6

Ingredients

150g/5oz sprout top, shredded
    150g/5oz Brussel sprouts, cut into quarters or mini sprouts cut in half
    110g/4oz split moong lentils, these will be yellow in colour as they are shelled
    1 tsp whole cumin seeds
    2 clove garlic, crushed
    5cm/2in ginger, crushed
    2 green chillies, crushed
    ½ tsp turmeric
    1 tbsp olive oil
    ½ tsp salt, adjust to taste
    400ml/13½fl oz warm water
    1 small tomato, finely diced
    coriander, to garnish

Method

1. Soak the lentils for between 4 and 8 hours in boiling water. When ready to cook rinse the lentils in warm water and drain.

2. Heat the oil in a medium pan, add the cumin seeds and cook for about a minute or until browned.

3. Remove the pan from the heat and add garlic, ginger and chillies. Stir this very quickly, as you don't want it to burn, add lentils, turmeric, salt and 300ml/10fl oz of warm water. Bring to the boil, cover and cook for 10 minutes on a gentle simmer. Do not let the water reduce by more than a third of the original quantity, if it does add more warm water.

4. Check that the lentils are cooked, by scooping out a few with a spoon and crushing them between your fingers. You should only have to apply a little pressure for the lentil to squash, once cooked add all the vegetables and 100ml/3½fl oz of warm water.

5. Stir and check seasoning, cover and cook for 5 minutes on a medium heat stirring occasionally. The vegetables should still have a little crunch to them when the dish is cooked, serve and sprinkle with chopped tomatoes and coriander.
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We freeze leftover turkey in curry size portions and just defrost and use in curries, pies etc. We do the same with left over veg

I made a pie with leftover lamb and curry the other day. Heated the meat in a pan of oil (or water to save on calories). Mixed the heated meat with a white sauce and covered with leftover mash and cooked in the oven until fully heated through......really nice and i served it with left over veg from xmas and gravy,

There are loads of ways to use leftovers on the old style board ...also not just xmas leftovers...it's a great way to save money and not waste food
  • sbutton
    Options
    Made the bubble and squeak with all the unused non roasted vegetables, roughly mash and then put into a star shaped flexipan and cooked in the oven. We had a lot of people over on Boxing Day, and the whole lot disappeared and it looked a lot more appetizing then when you fry it in a frying pan.

Turkey and ham pie. into the freezer for next week.

Turkey curry with a few big tomatoes chopped up. Onions. Star anise, cardamon pods, cloves, coriander, turmeric, cumin, etc. etc. (whatever spices come to hand first)
    TOP TIP: fry up the star anise, cardamon and cloves with the onions.... then take them out. I forgot to do this, and they are horrible if you bite into them. Curry was fantastic apart from that though.

This year, for the first time ever, we didn't really throw away anything!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure