Avro Energy banned from taking on new customers - MSE News

Options

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A very mixed bag of comments, for which I thank all contributors. I am thinking of switching to Avro and just had to share my customer experience so far.

I had a few questions and preferred to speak to a human being rather than wade through endless FAQs. After all, if they don't want to speak to potential customers during their very limited opening times, how good can their service be?

I called at 9.55 and 10.07 today and both times heard a voicemail telling me, "our lines are now closed." Hardly inspires confidence, does it? I roamed around their website for a while, started the switching process just to see how user friendly it is, then called again. This time I heard a different message telling me their lines were busy but, after a couple of minutes, got through to a young lady who sounded about 14.

We discussed some of my issues, mostly the failure to answer the phone, which I was informed was due to "technical issues". Failure to turn off the night service on the switchboard could be called a technical issue, I suppose. She then informed me they are not taking on new customers due to the Smart meter compliance problem. I queried this as there is a note to this effect on the MSE article, presumably in response to the above post.

The young lady disappeared for about five minutes and informed me on her return that MSE's information is correct and they are now taking on new customers... She had to be told this somewhat salient fact by someone who is not even a customer!

No wonder their prices are cheap; they need to be! Still undecided about whether to stick with the Big 6 or take the Avro challenge; thoughts, please?
  • peterx
    peterx Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    I am with the Peoples Energy after being with Outfoxthemarket. Avro's latest tariff is super so i am changing to this tariff.I was with Avro last year.It took a little time to get my credit back but eventually i got it back from Avro.
  • wrongplanet
    wrongplanet Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 June 2019 at 10:46AM
    Options
    According to Ofgem, Avro Energy became a DCC user on 14 June so the ban on new customers has been lifted.

Ofgem just updated their original notification so it's not been picked up by anyone. See the last paragraph here:
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/avro-final-order
  • Smodlet
    edited 20 June 2019 at 11:18PM
    Options
    According to Ofgem, Avro Energy became a DCC user on 14 June so the ban on new customers has been lifted.

Ofgem just updated their original notification so it's not been picked up by anyone. See the last paragraph here:
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/avro-final-order

... Including some Avro employees! :rotfl:
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 June 2019 at 2:10PM
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Still undecided about whether to stick with the Big 6 or take the Avro challenge; thoughts, please?

Perhaps I've been lucky, but so far I've had no problems at all with Avro. Their prices were very competitive, there's no exit fee despite being a fixed price, and their website is straightforward and works well.

Best of all, they've introduced a cheaper tariff every few weeks, so I just phoned them (always got through easily) and asked to switch. Unlike moving to a new company, it always gets changed in a day or two.

I've just switched to Yorkshire Energy because it was a bit cheaper, but then Avro introduced their latest tariff which was almost as good so I almost feel guilty !

I'm in credit by about £50 so we'll see how the refund goes, but at present I'd happily recommend Avro and will certainly not hesitate to go back to them if they're cheaper in the future. I've been with umpteen energy companies in the past and for me Avro has certainly been one of the best.

The Ofgem squabble didn't bother me one bit, in fact for me it boosted Avro's reputation because I think smart meters are an expensive form of energy rationing for which we're all having to pay higher bills. So if a company drags its feet on smart metering, that's fine by me...
  • Gerry1
    Options
    mbailey wrote: »
    Personally for me I have no issues with Smart meters and would really like one (as long as it is SMETS2) as it would then save the monthly having to remember to read the meters.
    When there's not enough juice for everyone and you're cold and dark because you've been remotely disconnected by your smart meter, you may wish that you were as warm and bright as your neighbours who very wisely retained their conventional meters ! :rotfl:
  • Smodlet
    edited 23 June 2019 at 2:15PM
    Options
    Thank you, Gerry1! Well, I began a switch to EDF, in the end, because the saving going to Avro was halved by the fact they have not paid MSE commission so we get no cash back and, really, how much hassle is £25 worth? Their phone lines are open only during office hours; I want to be able to call my provider whenever I like. This was all of two days ago. I have now cancelled that switch because EDF are a veritable nightmare to deal with:

They don't want me to send them meter readings more than twice a year (whaaaaaaat???) and I am not allowed to call them. Sod that. I know these online tariffs are supposed to mean you only ever use the (godawful) online chat but my current supplier have never once told me to go away when I have called them (always after attempting the chat; all you have to say is they either did not know what they were doing or there were language difficulties, which has always been true)

What kind of a company discourages customers from sending meter readings? How irresponsible is that? Hello debt! Words fail me; I refuse to deal with a company like that. I have emailed the CEC about cancelling my switch on there so I can do another one. I have already done an online chat and phoned to cancel with EDF and have a transcript so they had better not go through with it.

EDF do not even have an energy usage chart on their online accounts unless you have a smart meter. How rubbish is that? I assumed (yeah, yeah, a$$ U me) that, because nPower have an energy tracker, every provider would or, at least, the rest of the big 6. My flabber is literally gasted. A bas EDF, a la lanterne!
  • Gerry1
    Options
    @ Smodlet
    Suggest giving Avro a go if they have a reasonably competitive fixed offer with no exit fee.

At the moment their business model seems to be that of introducing new tariffs very frequently in order to stay at the top of the money savings charts. Just keep surfing the crest of the wave by checking every month to see whether there's a new offer that's cheaper ! It also resets the 12-month clock, which is nice.

Incidentally, your online account will have a useful graph of previous and forecast usage together with expected annual consumption.

OK, the lack of an 0800 number and extended opening hours may be a pain, but if the price is right it's probably worth it; you're never going to get Lidl prices in Harrods.

Happy switching !
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Options
    Are customers services about to improve? I have just had an email response on a Saturday!
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If a supplier folds and you have a credit balance with them, have you lost it ??
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback