We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

injured small pigeon - help

Options
2»

Comments

• MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry to read the pigeon didn't make it. It's perfectly normal to feel sadness so don't be embarrassed.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For some reason I get multiple pigeon strikes on my back windows - up to a dozen a month in summer! There are a lot of trees behind us and they are full of wood pigeons. I don't know why they collide with my windows, the neighbours don't seem to have the same problem. I've always assumed its some sort of trick of the light reflecting on our windows that confuses them.

Most seem to survive but occasionally we end up with ones who break wings etc and wander round the garden. We used to try and get them looked after but we've never succeeded in getting them healed - they always die. :(

We have a resident Buzzard in the trees at the bottom of the garden and sadly, he usually picks the injured ones off and the local fox cleans up any remains.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Animals have accidents or get sick, and sometimes the prognosis is so poor it's better to put them down immediately than leave them suffering till they expire 'naturally.'

The problem, of course, is assessment. Most people aren't too good at it. Then the other problem is doing the deed! A ham-fisted dispatch can leave both sides traumatised.

People should think about these things carefully before deciding to have low cost animals, like chickens. Yes, they're fun while pecking about, young, healthy and active, but what about three or four years down the line?
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    For some reason I get multiple pigeon strikes on my back windows - up to a dozen a month in summer! There are a lot of trees behind us and they are full of wood pigeons. I don't know why they collide with my windows, the neighbours don't seem to have the same problem. I've always assumed its some sort of trick of the light reflecting on our windows that confuses them.

That's supposedly quite a common thing.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    That's supposedly quite a common thing.

Wow! The biggest killer of birds by a huge margin is windows! I've tried coloured ribbons on a cane above the window but they soon disintegrate with weather/time.
    The strange thing is its ONLY pigeons who do it, I've never witnessed any other breed do it in my garden and we have a veritable menagerie of birds as we live on the edge of woodland. The imprints left on the windows are always recognisable as pigeons.
    It does give you a start though when they do it - always makes me jump out of my skin when I hear that thud on the glass.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,024 Forumite
    Options
    6 a.m. this morning, I thought someone had lobbed a brick at our bedroom window. No apparent damage, but a collared dove was walking round the driveway, shaking its head. Luckily, it must have been ok as it flew away shortly afterwards.

Mr S slept on.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    It's not your fault it passed, birds have such a fast metabolism that frequently pigeons die in the night if they haven't enough body fat to keep them alive when they go to sleep.:o

I was wondering about that only today as there was a bedraggled adult pigeon in my garden sat in the same position for about 5 hours. It was joined on a couple of occasions but didn't want any attention and shuffled away along the branch and even pecked at the arrivals. Plenty of food available in my garden but all of a sudden it took off and flew over my roof; I had thought it more likely it would fall off its perch!

Twice I've had the silly b****rs down my bedroom fire chimney which isn't capped. Eventually I hear them and get the gloves on and hoik them out. Both times they flew away strongly. Window collisions occasionally happen in our terrace too, with recovery times sometimes long enough to risk arrival of the local cats. They do seem rather stupid birds.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    Options
    I was reading that birds metabolisms are so fast that few pathogens can tolerate their body heat.

Flying species naturally outlive ground-based animals because they're not trapped in a 2-D predator prey arena and can always withdraw into the unreachable third dimension.

They tend to have sudden deaths rather than slow degenerative ones; they crash when trying to land on a branch (or fly through a window) and then suddenly they're on a land animal's menu toot-sweet.

I remember turning a blind corner in a country road and being shocked by a bird falling onto my windscreen from a great height where it had presumably had a circulatory event.

Let's all thank gravity for preventing the sky from filling up with dead birds.:beer:
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure