Single premium life insurance for funeral

Options
I am 69 and would like to invest £5000 in a single premium towards my funeral costs in the future. In order to cover future inflation, I would like to see some capital growth in the sum insured based on a return on the £5000 invested. Does anyone know of a single premium life insurance product that combines life insurance and investment in this way?

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why do you need to worry about investment.
    Why not just buy a package where your funeral will be covered at whatever time it happens. This protects you against funeral price inflation which actually in recent decades has probably exceeded general investment performance.

My FIL and MIL used golden charter.
    We were very happy with the service we received (although that could be down to the local funeral director).

We are just discussing within my family what to do with ashes as the wishes aren’t entirely clear, so consider making that clear for your family (if you have any wishes on that matter).
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We used the Coop, excellent service
    2 funerals covered for around £7k
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you want to be buried or cremated?
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why does it need to be life assurance? Why cant it be an S&S ISA for example?
    Does anyone know of a single premium life insurance product that combines life insurance and investment in this way?

Yes. but I am not sure it would be suitable.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My idea,
    1 Write a will.
    2 Open a savings account and deposit £5000 into it - mention this account in the will.
    3 Top this up from time to time if you think it is necessary.
    4 Forget the investment side because you don't know when this money will be needed - your demise might come at a bad time for your 'investment'.
    5 If you have substantial cash savings - why do this at all? The first claim on your estate will be the funeral bill - if you have the cash sitting in the bank then your executor can use this to pay the bill when winding up your estate?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure