T mobile debt collecting problem

Options
12 years ago my son lost his new mobile, I had to pay the contract for the following 2 years, without even being able to use the minutes etc. close to the end of contract I spoke to a lady at T mobile who suggested I get a settlement figure to end the contract, which I did, paying over a £100 there and then. I asked for a letter confirming it was completed and she said T mobile don't send letters and next bill would show the zero balance.
The following month the bill came in, zero as expected, a few months later I got a letter asking for £43.20 as 'I hadn't given a months notice to cancel my contract when I paid the settlement figure!'
I refused to pay it as a settlement figure is a settlement, since then I have been hounded by various companies that the alleged debt has been passed to, for ten years, over and over I have explained what happened, but that is ignored, many times the companies have sent copies of invoices which say, zero balance, followed by another saying I still owe £43.20, I am sick to death of it, but I will not give in , I had a settlement figure and paid it, should have been end of. What can I do to get them to leave me alone?

Comments

• pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I had to pay the contract for the following 2 years, without even being able to use the minutes etc.

Why on earth did you not ask for a replacement sim card to put into another phone? :shocked:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You'll need to pay it if you want them to leave you alone.

It appears they made an error and have been trying to fix it.

If you don't want to do that, you'll need to keep battling with them.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    See identical post .
  • Mobile_hell
    Options
    Because I had a phone and my ex husband got my son a new phone and contract so he didn't want the sim card
  • Mobile_hell
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by they made an error and have been trying to fix it? I think someone at T mobile processed the settlement figure wrongly, the notes that are apparently kept don't mention the word settlement, but do acknowledge that I made an unusually high payment
  • Mobile_hell
    Options
    Why on earth did you not ask for a replacement sim card to put into another phone? :shocked:
    I had no problem paying the contract, it hurt but it was a contract, my problem is that they offered a settlement figure, I paid it immediately and six months later they started saying as I hadn't given a months notice before paying it off, they wanted more money, over the last ten years I have had hundreds of letters and phonecalls. Five years ago I thought it was finally all settled, and last month Capquest started badgering me, and surely a settlement figure should include all fees and costs unless advised otherwise?
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    Outside my area of knowledge, but if this is ten years ago and you've never acknowledged the debt, isn't it statute barred by now?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by they made an error and have been trying to fix it?

I mean they processed the settlement figure incorrectly and have been trying to charge the correct amount.
    I think someone at T mobile processed the settlement figure wrongly

Me too.
  • Mobile_hell
    Mobile_hell Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Outside my area of knowledge, but if this is ten years ago and you've never acknowledged the debt, isn't it statute barred by now?
    That's what I would like to know and understand, I would have paid it if I had owed it, but I feel that if they offer a settlement figure, they should not come back six months later and say that as I hadn't given a months notice before paying it, that I have to pay an extra month, i.e 25th month. The settlement was the last few months of the contract minus the interest, apparently no note of the word settlement on their records.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure