Safe? Barclays asks to confirm personal info via docusign.net.

Options
Clicking the link in the following 'Notification':

"Personal: Your Personal Details KYC Reminder
We recently asked you to confirm your details, but haven't had a response. It's important that the details we have for you are correct and up to date, as it helps to keep your account secure and prevent fraud. Please take a moment to check everything's correct."

...takes me to

h t t p s://n a 3.docusign . net/...

...in a new tab, which asks me to provide my country of birth, nationality, occupation type and salary.

Obviously, I reached the site, via a link in my secure Barclays online acc (as secure as it can be, at any rate), but is this safe?

Cheers.

Comments

• Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    Speak to a digital eagle...they are the experts.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Shakin_Steve
    Options
    Planter12 wrote: »
    Clicking the link in the following 'Notification':

"Personal: Your Personal Details KYC Reminder
    We recently asked you to confirm your details, but haven't had a response. It's important that the details we have for you are correct and up to date, as it helps to keep your account secure and prevent fraud. Please take a moment to check everything's correct."

...takes me to

h t t p s://n a 3.docusign . net/...

...in a new tab, which asks me to provide my country of birth, nationality, occupation type and salary.

Obviously, I reached the site, via a link in my secure Barclays online acc (as secure as it can be, at any rate), but is this safe?

Cheers.
    Every Barclays customer is being asked to do this. You're not exactly giving a lot away. :)
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • Flobberchops
    Options
    If you're not able or willing to do it online, you can update your KYC details/docs in branch.

As Shakin Steve said though, the information they're asking isn't particularly sensitive.
    : )
  • JKV
    Options
    I have been asked to fill in what I consider to be personal information, such as my annual income before tax. When I phoned the Barclays helpline, they were unable to tell me why this information was needed and what they intended to do with it. All I was told was that it was because of regulations from the FCA, but the person I spoke to couldn't tell me the nature or number of the regulation. FCA say that Barclays should provide rule number from the FCA (if this is indeed required by an FCA regulation). ICO have also told me that the letter should state why the information is needed and how the information will be used once provided. All the letter says is that they are introducing a series of initiatives to combat fraud and financial crime. ICO says that this is not sufficient. I am awaiting a response from Barclays, as my query has been passed further up the chain. I see no reason why Barclays need to know my total income from all sources, when other banks have not asked me for this information.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JKV wrote: »
    I have been asked to fill in what I consider to be personal information, such as my annual income before tax. When I phoned the Barclays helpline, they were unable to tell me why this information was needed and what they intended to do with it. All I was told was that it was because of regulations from the FCA, but the person I spoke to couldn't tell me the nature or number of the regulation. FCA say that Barclays should provide rule number from the FCA (if this is indeed required by an FCA regulation). ICO have also told me that the letter should state why the information is needed and how the information will be used once provided. All the letter says is that they are introducing a series of initiatives to combat fraud and financial crime. ICO says that this is not sufficient. I am awaiting a response from Barclays, as my query has been passed further up the chain. I see no reason why Barclays need to know my total income from all sources, when other banks have not asked me for this information.

They don't need to know it, but they like to know it for marketing purposes. They are probably taking advantage of the situation to collect this information. I wouldn't be too fused about being accurate with these details. There's no real way they can check. For regulatory purposes they just need to confirm your identity, and I think now your nationality as well (something to do with the Americans).
  • tberry6686
    tberry6686 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I haven't been asked to fill this in for my barclays accounts. Personally I would call Barclays to confirm it is correct before I would consider filling it in
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    JKV wrote: »
    Which other banks?
    Lloyds banking group and HSBC have asked me - it is to do with an agreement between the EU and USA to know your customer.
    This will not be used for marketing but more for money laundering prevention.
  • Chalkius
    Options
    Call them if you want. You can update it over the phone with them.

It's the sort of thing that if you ignore it they might close your account as it's to do with money laundering, they have to ensure they hold certain information.
  • I think you're missing the point here. The information they are asking for may not be world shattering, but it is intrusive. If this is designed to prevent money laundering and it is a legal requirement, then Barclays should state that. They don't because it isn't. They pretend to be looking after your security but actually ask for your salary before tax, any bonuses you might earn during the year, and then your total salary at the end of the year. How does that stop you becoming a victim of fraud, which is why they state they want the information?
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Welcome to MSE!
    Interesting first post, to revive a 6-month old thread which in many people's eyes is very Shakespearean, much ado about nothing.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure