SOA, help please!

Options

Comments

• kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you've got a local Tesco like mine then plan your shopping around the time they do the yellow sticker reductions and before Aldi/Lidl main shop. I've gone in fairly often and got a weeks worth of bread (ours always seems to have bread) for example for £1.50 - loaves reduced to 25p, bread rolls 6 for 15p etc. We normally freeze a couple of loaves and some bread rolls and get them out during the week as we need them.

You could be lucky and pick up something good from the yellow sticker counter although the rugby scrum around it puts me off a bit usually.

I presume other supermarkets do something similar?
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,407 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How's things going Stinabean? Any progress?
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think if I were you I would look at your debts first to see what the interest rates are and if you can consolidate, pay less interest and a set monthly amount.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the Spotify, Netflix, PSN, it’s cheap entertainment and you’ve got to have some pleasures, right?

Ignore this advice
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You need something in the assest house value gross.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Thriftyknickers
    Options
    Only a tiny thing but I would stop the vet plan. We only use flea treatment in the summer months - not all year round as these plans suggest. Might help?
    Predicted Net Worth 31/12/2018: -£38,898.03/-£34,616.86
    Target 31/12/2019: -£25,000
    Extra Income 2019: £1,500/£732.38
    Target Weight Loss 2019: -14 LBs/-2.5 LBs
    As at 3/4/2019 MFiT-T5 No 49
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,614 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You are both low earners and have over committed with the car. Ideally you would have gone for a cheaper one. Why is it not showing as an asset?

Good you now have the tax free childcare account. That will save you 20% on childcare costs. When he is three you will get the 30 free hours which will help a lot.

Cutting the virgin, Spotify (use the free one) and groceries should save you a bit and meal planning, budget supermarkets and spending diary will help. If you run out of something don't do a top up shop unless it is bread or milk. Just be creative with what you have got in fridge/freezer. We stopped doing top up shops a few years ago and amazing how much it saves if you don't pop in for just a few bits and come out with £20 of shopping. Now if we need milk I just get that. As EH says make sure you save too. That is key to getting rid of debt. Save for your budget pots - clothes, car, presents, emergency savings.

You don't have much leeway but look for opportunities to make more money and the childcare will reduce when your baby is 3 which will help a lot. How old is he now?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ohdearhowdidthathappen
    Options
    I was going to say about the tax free childcare, but I see someone else has pointed it out. That 20% saving will definitely help. When your little one is 3 you'll get 30 hours free childcare too, ehich is a massive help.

Have you or your husband thought about second jobs? I have a Saturday job in a shop on top off my 'main' job, it earns £300 a month (no NI or childcare) plus I get discount off my food shopping and other purchases. Saves me the same per month as what I earn there! My brother and his wife both have second little jobs on top of the main incomes; she babysits 2 nights a week for a family and he delivers pizzas 2 nights a week.

I'd look at swapping your car... a family of 3 only needs a little car, you could halve your car costs easily.

You could also halve your food budget.

I know it all sounds boring, but you could definitely make a big in roads into your debt and then feel much more comfy monthly. Good luck!
    Debt - Car loan £19k. New savings goals: Emergency fund £1000/£1000, FFEF £200/£10000
  • stinabean
    stinabean Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks all, got some amazing ideas from you so far and it's really appreciated.
    I'm going to cancel the vet thing, realised I haven't actually used the flea stuff for a while and he's been fine 🤦!♀️ can always restart too.
    The car - I know. I agree, with everyone, this is a OH issue. We currently use this to visit family (they pay our petrol) as the grandparents are just too elderly to make the trip and we want them to see as much of their great grandson as possible.
    The boy is almost 1, so a little while to wait for the free hours, however if its anything like the first year it's sped by and he'll be at school before I know it! Is everyone entitled to these hours or is it dependent on income?

Second jobs, I've been applying all over, chased them all up by phone, zero interviews.

Food - not my forte and 90% my fault that we spend so much. I'm not a great cook, grew up on incredibly bland meals so just feel hopeless 😅 I also buy a disgusting amount of junk food which needs to stop.
    I will try and plan a weeks food based on what I can actually cook, and go from there.

Re savings, should we just save to hit that initial £300, do the 50/50 after for the debt and savings, and use the savings for things like mot and house insurance? Or should I have separate pots for that?
    Pushing through to Jan 2020 to start saving and debt busting!

£8k loan
    £0 savings
  • strongboes
    strongboes Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You are both on minimum wage yet have a 10k car just to visit family. Sell it and if they pay fuel then either hire one or use train? Or sell and buy a £500 pound car. For 5 years in a row once upon a time I bought a car each year off ebay with 1 year new mot for under £200, then scrapped it for £100.
  • RubyMcC
    RubyMcC Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    If you're looking to reduce food costs have you tried googling 'easy family meal plans' or something along those lines? I know you mentioned you're not the best chef so using a simple meal plan with recipes might help you out! There's tonnes of free meal plans online.

Best of luck, keep us updated! :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport