Surcharge on Holiday bookings when paying by CC

Options
Was wondering if anyone knows whether holiday or credit card companies are entitled to incur a surcharge when making a booking? I've recently booked a holiday for a considerable amount of money and the tour operator has informed me that each payment made using a credit card will incur a 1% charge. I have heard that this is illegal but want to make sure before confronting the tour operator.

Comments

• Galstonian
    Galstonian Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    Options
    Perfectly legal I'm afraid. You could pay by debit card.
  • normski_2
    normski_2 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Dear Irish Lass

Please see if you can check this out somewhere else but I think it goes something like this:

Pay for £100 (or maybe £101 to be safe) of the holiday on your Credit Card. You will then have the protection of Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act (Make sure you are the primary card holder). You should get back the total cost of your holiday if it goes pear shaped from the credit card company.

Pay the balance by the cheapest means possible.

I hope this helps.

Normski
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    @Irish Lass
    It sounds as it is too late to do anything about it.
    Do all of the above and you could try bargaining with them. You could say that you have seen the same deal with a more enlightened online travel agency. You could also say 'if the costs of paying by credit card are not better displayed then you will report them to the advertising standards authority'.

If they think that they have you over a barrel then they will try stuff.
    J_B. (Not a very PC comment but I am not that speccy Romanian bloke.)
  • Finishrich
    Finishrich Posts: 1,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I've just booked a late deal with Direct Holidays and they charged 2% for a visa credit card. Used my nationwide card with 1% cash back and figured since they're part of My Travel would rather have the peace of mind that Section 75 provides than pay by debit card. But must admit I didn't know I still had that protection paying around £101 of the balance.

And I bet they don't pay anything like 2% to the bank to handle their credit card services, not with the value of the transactions they turnover >:(. If that is what they pay then it makes we wonder why they haven't negotiated a better rate than that ???
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Get a Thomas Cook card - MBNA - earn 1.5% as points towards your holiday!

They DON'Tmake a card surcharge - in fact you get an EXTRA discount!!

Plus they price match other travel agents, anyway!!

Worth checking out for next time!!

Don't use it for your out of UK shopping - thats for the Nationwide card!!

VB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport