NEST top up? Low income

Options
I am looking at my future pension situation which is very low due to taking a long time out looking after my three children and then becoming a single parent.

I am 47 now. I will get the state pension of £8797 p.a.
I will also get two small teacher pensions of just under £4000 p.a. These are due to me working as a teacher for 6 years and a pension sharing agreement with my ex husband after the divorce.

I am therefore due a small pension of around £16000 including the state pension. I am obviously keen to boost this in anyway I can.

I work part time on minimum wage.

My current employer is using the NEST pension scheme. I am thinking of topping this up through direct debit from my bank account of a £100 a month, but have seen some bad reviews of NEST in the past. Is it worth me doing this? Should I go elsewhere? What options are there for pension accruement for low income people such as myself?

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    You'll always see bad reviews - people are far quicker to criticise than they are to praise.

NEST was set up in the expectation most of its members would be low income individuals. You could investigate a stakeholder pension scheme if you want some investment choice, but it's hard to see why you would want to do so when you already have savings with NEST - it would be two pensions to keep track of rather than just one.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,626 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NEST do charge 1.8% of every contribution as a fee - there may be cheaper ways of building up a pot.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    NEST do charge 1.8% of every contribution as a fee - there may be cheaper ways of building up a pot.
    Yes but their ongoing annual charge is low, so over a period of years it will even out the initial charge .
    bank account of a £100 a month,
    Putting the £100 in is the most important point and perhaps do not worry too much about whether it is Nest or not .
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My wife is in her employer NEST scheme, we save £200pm into a SIPP with the intent of adding ad hoc payments to the SIPP as we can, the plan is then to transfer the NEST monies into the SIPP on retirement.

The SIPP will then be drawn down at an annual rate equal to her forecast SP, plus a drawn down on another DC pension she has to give her an annual income just below the point of paying income tax. The SIPP will be exhausted just as her SP starts payment, so she will continue with an annual income just below the point of paying income tax.

So it may be useful to identify different pots for different stages of retirement as we have?
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • Cazzledazzle
    Options
    Do you mind me asking why you aren't just paying into the NEST? Which SIPP did you chose and why? I've been looking at all the different SIPPs and it is hard for me to work out which one is better than the other and they seem to be aimed at people who have a lot of money to invest.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you mind me asking why you aren't just paying into the NEST? Which SIPP did you chose and why? I've been looking at all the different SIPPs and it is hard for me to work out which one is better than the other and they seem to be aimed at people who have a lot of money to invest.

SIPPs are a lot cheaper than they used to be, but if you have only modest amounts to invest and aren't keen on having to take regular investment decisions, they aren't the one size fits all solution many people would try to have you believe.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Is it 4k each pension? So you will have 16 k ? By how much do you want to increase it and what is it " small" compared to ? Do you realise it is twice as much as majority of people receive, ie state pension only ? What do you spend now after deducting children expenses , taxes , mortgage if you pay it ?
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • Cazzledazzle
    Options
    It is 4k for two teacher pensions and then the 8k for the state pension, so 16k in total. i have paid off my mortgage
  • Kentish_Dave
    Kentish_Dave Posts: 842 Forumite
    Options
    You have 20+ years to deal with this, so alongside looking at the investment side you should also be looking at what you can do to increase your income. Two decades is enough time to join a profession and rise far up the ranks, or train as a plumber, spend a decade perfecting the trade, and saving, and then opening your own company and having others do the work for you.

You can do private tuition, set up your own school, start an import-export business, learn a language and work as a translator, the choices are nearly endless.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

We chose not to add to the NEST as we wanted to create a separate pot that we could monitor and wanted to use VLS60 fund. We chose HL as the provider for low but not the lowest cost, liked the easy to use website.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure