SIPP Account AJBell or Fidelity

Options
Hi,

I plan to open a SIPP account and read all over internet about AJBell.
Looking at Fidelity, their charges are very low. I wonder if there is any reason why Fidelity is not popular?

Eg
1. No transfer out fee
2. Service/ custody fee £45 whereas AJBell is £100
3. Share transaction fee is roughly £10 for both

Comments

• cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 18 January 2019 at 5:35PM
    Options
    deepam wrote: »
    Hi,

I plan to open a SIPP account and read all over internet about AJBell.
    Looking at Fidelity, their charges are very low. I wonder if there is any reason why Fidelity is not popular?

Eg
    1. No transfer out fee
    2. Service/ custody fee £45 whereas AJBell is £100
    3. Share transaction fee is roughly £10 for both
    Ummm, I am torn about how to answer this but, will explain.

I've not been very impressed with the Fidelity SIPP, as I invest using ITs (possibly ETFs but not yet), and to be perfectly honest I really haven't been that impressed with how the SIPP currently (that is important) operates.

For some weird reason, currently for the SIPP I run (is actually the OHs), they operate forward pricing. This is more commonly associated with OIECs. And it is this aspect which has really thrown me. Part of the reason for investing using ITs (ETFs) is that I like the transparency, the certainty about the transaction, as opposed to whatever the price is tomorrow.

So the SIPP I have is using this old style of transaction (very old school), and going back a couple of months I was getting to the point where I was considering throwing in the towel.

Having said that, I have been notified that the OH SIPP is in the process of migrating to the new, updated, fan-daby-dozy online trading platform. Because of this I am prepared to wait and see how it functions (I don't have a Fidelity GIA/ISA account to compare with). Assuming all is well, i.e. I can invest in line with what you might expect from an online trading account then I will stay. As you say, the platform fee is great and I won't be trading significantly so the trading charges will be manageable.

One nice feature is that they have plugged in an X-Ray feature for your portfolio (unsure if it is Morning Star's version or not).
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    deepam wrote: »
    2. Service/ custody fee £45 whereas AJBell is £100.
    For unit trusts and OEICs, Fidelity platform charge is 0.35% whereas AJBell is 0.25% (although if you plan to hold these types of investments, both can often be beaten by one of the flat-fee providers once you reach a balance of around £50k to £60k).
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wonder if there is any reason why Fidelity is not popular?

Fidelity is clunky and easily improved upon with other providers for both quality and cost.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello deepam,
    Is it correct that AJBELL SIPP has an annual custody/service fee of £100?
    Regards

mrwmartin
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Options
    rangersfc wrote: »
    Hello deepam,
    Is it correct that AJBELL SIPP has an annual custody/service fee of £100?
    Regards

mrwmartin

It has a maximum platform charge of £100 for holding shares, ETFs or Investment trusts. Up to that point its 0.25%. So for amounts over £40000 the platform charge is capped

Funds are different.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello Prism,
    Thanks for the clarification. EG...£10000 (vanguard strategy fund) would incur £25 per annum fee?
    Regards

mrwmartin
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Options
    rangersfc wrote: »
    Hello Prism,
    Thanks for the clarification. EG...£10000 (vanguard strategy fund) would incur £25 per annum fee?
    Regards

mrwmartin

Well those are funds so not capped at £100 a year but yes for £10000 it would be £25
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks Prism.
    mrwmartin
  • jim8888
    jim8888 Posts: 375 Forumite
    Options
    I just wanted to defend Fidelity a bit in terms of their website. It might be clunky compared to the best out there, but I've used it for years and like the functionality. Plus any time I've called their customer service, they're fast to respond and very helpful.
    When I started investing way back, Fidelity were first to respond to my enquiries with really good information, and I've been with them since, with no complaints. And I've no connection to them other than being a satisfied customer.
  • RealtimeBlues
    Options
    I have AJ for my wife's Sipp
    I use HL for my Sipp it is much the better platform, charges are a bit more than AJ but no charges to drawdown when that time comes
    I had funds with Fid but website was clunky and you can only have the fidelity funds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure