running 5k and need help with technique

Options
I am not running marathons just the local 5k park run. I don't do it every week and didn't do it all summer when it was really hot and did it for the first time since june last week.

I had not run much at all since june just a few runs about a mile or so but I really do have a problem with my breathing. On the run saturday I had to stop 5 times-each time for about 10-20 seconds as I just needed to get my breath. my body could go more but my breathing needs sorting.

I know I could join a running club but I cant really dedicate myself enough to do this as I have lots going on at the moment.

I think my problem is that i run a bit too fast (for me) but cant seem to reduce my pace so hence my need to stop and breathe. I am not a young chick ( lol) but have always been to gym and have been running on and off for about 2 years. I have done the park run a couple of times without stopping once but just lately need to more often.

Any techniques that i could try would be more than welcome. Should I try to go slower but actually do 3 miles without stopping or should I try something else??

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'd be trying to run it slower and make sure my breathing was steadier, and then try and pick up the pace when I had a better handle on my breathing. Alternatively, look into programs that can build you up to 5k gradually so it's less full-on and built up to a continuous 5km :)
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

might get some tips here.
  • phil1970s
    Options
    Am a long distance runner. Fell/Mountain marathon.
    Its always a little hard after having a break. If you oxygenate your body before starting your run. you will find that all your major muscle groups will find it a little easier. Also try shortening your gate. Your stride. A lot of people over stretch there gate when running using to much energy and becoming out of breath and fatigued.
    Always start off really slow and take big intakes of air through the mouth. really fill the lungs, like your trying to totally fill them each breath. Your aim is to oxygenate your muscles.
    If you feel your starting to get out of breath again slow the pace and repeat the breathing cycle. Big deep breaths. Try not stop running but if you feel you have too, keep moving forward walking and taking deep full breaths.
    You find you recover really quickly and can start to run again.
    Hope this helps and good luck with the 5k
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    I run, cycle and do fell walking and if you have a bit of time out, it's always the breathing that is the hardest when coming back.

Are you treating the parkrun as a race? You might find that is why you are going too fast? A good pace to start with is a pace that would allow you to carry on a conversation while running, your so called 'easy' pace.

Find your easy pace, and you should be able to keep going.

Also this might sound weird, but try running to music - I find it you can't hear you are out of breath, you don't feel it so much!
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    bxboards wrote: »
    I run, cycle and do fell walking and if you have a bit of time out, it's always the breathing that is the hardest when coming back.

Are you treating the parkrun as a race? You might find that is why you are going too fast? A good pace to start with is a pace that would allow you to carry on a conversation while running, your so called 'easy' pace.

Find your easy pace, and you should be able to keep going.

Also this might sound weird, but try running to music - I find it you can't hear you are out of breath, you don't feel it so much!

I was just going to say the same about the music, and it's a good distraction too.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    The short answer is that your body is now not used to it and it will take time and practice for it to get back to where it was. So yes, the only way to do it currently is to slow down, after a couple of runs it should start coming back. Please don't use try and rely on music when training as it actually gets in the way of your bodys natural breathing, its amazing how much improvement people have in their breathing when they stop listening to music!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Aaron.R
    Options
    Just take it slow at the beginning. Try different paces and find what style fits you best. Your cardiovascular endurance will improve quite fast and you might find this problem gone after few weeks or months.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    It might be worth speaking to your doctor if this isn't a problem you've had before. You've only been 'off' for a couple of months, so although it's reasonable to find it a bit harder as you get back into it, this seems worse than that.

Get it checked.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • mrs_baggins
    mrs_baggins Posts: 1,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone. it seems general consensus is that i should try to slow down which I will try but i do seem to have only one speed. lol. bit i will try. I will mention this to my gp next time i see her as my breathing at the time was so weird and wheezy and sort of 'echoed' in my chest (cant explain it better) I was like someone with really bad chest. I am going out for just a 2m run today and have googled breathing techniques so will give them a go
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone. it seems general consensus is that i should try to slow down which I will try but i do seem to have only one speed. lol.

I'm the same - I only have one speed - running, or not running! :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport