running 5k and need help with technique

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
42 replies 10.7K views

Replies

• parking_question_chapparking_question_chap Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would be inclined to latch on to the back of somebody who is going the pace you feel you need to be running at. Try to stay back 5 metres or so not to crowd them as should aim to follow them the full course. This should prevent you speeding up.

Then as your fitness improves you can start to track faster runners.

Or you could plot the course on an online map and time your splits as you go around from memory of each given distance. Then back off if you have hit a split too quickly.
  • I'd try fast walk for the first 2K and then speed up.
  • You just need to start off slow, I recommend that you should training your body first before attempting a 5k run. Do some small walks and run
  • You are dead right that the key is pacing yourself, obviously a running watch can help with this or the free Runkeeper app on your phone will allow you to set a pace and then it will give you an audio update every 500m about how fast you are running.

Failing that if you run a regular route just note your landmarks and check your watch to see whether you are ahead or behind.

Ideally if you are just looking to build fitness you should always be able to hold a conversation or sing a song while running and be only a bit out of breath.
  • StokeStoke Forumite
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have terrible technique. I just run through the pain :D Ahh well.
  • I have a metronome running on my phone. You can set it to different BPM and run with it. I find it stops me getting pulled along with other faster runners and keeps me bumbling along keeping in time with it.

You can look up the BPMs and roughly what pace that should equate to. Mines at 153 and gives me a 30 min 5k.
  • mark206000 wrote: »
    I have a metronome running on my phone. You can set it to different BPM and run with it. I find it stops me getting pulled along with other faster runners and keeps me bumbling along keeping in time with it.

You can look up the BPMs and roughly what pace that should equate to. Mines at 153 and gives me a 30 min 5k.

I get the thought behind running to heart rate, but surely there can't be a table for it? At 153 BPM I would be running under 21 mins for 5k.
    btw I normally train to HR so know pretty accurately my training paces.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Bpm on the metronome app, not your ticker !
  • StokeStoke Forumite
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did my first 10k last night since my weight loss, been doing regular 5's but decided to push myself. Averaging about 8 to 8 and half minute miles. My fastest being the second to last mile which I did in 8. Not bad, but I think I need to do it more regularly.

Can anyone explain cadence to me? I'm trying to understand how it will impact any progress I make.
  • I'll go against all advice Iv'e read and tell you I get my PB's at 5K when I go as fast as I can, for as long as I can, completely exhaust myself by 3-4K and struggle to the finish. If I pace myself I always finish with energy left!

Sounds like your fitness is the issue, try some longer slower runs in the week, to the point where your legs are stopping you not your breathing.
    "It is not the critic who counts..." - Theodore Roosevelt