Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Options

Comments

• silverwhistle
    Options
    NigeWick wrote: »
    There is no doubt in my mind now that we will never get a decent deal while the EU has the current non elected management in charge. This country has got just got 16 months to prepare for what I now believe will be "the worst."

I voted remain and unlike John Redwood am not selling my UK shares, but the problem is compounded by, to use your words :D "the current elected non management in charge" here...
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I voted remain and unlike John Redwood am not selling my UK shares, but the problem is compounded by, to use your words :D "the current elected non management in charge" here...
    I'm not sure they really were elected. Bribes for votes doesn't seem very democratic to me. Still, they look set to implode at any moment so hopefully we will get somebody sensible in charge soon.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    I'm not sure they really were elected. Bribes for votes doesn't seem very democratic to me. Still, they look set to implode at any moment so hopefully we will get somebody sensible in charge soon.
    Hi

<Rant Mode - Enabled>

Reasonably sensible ? .... that definitely excludes the majority of elected officials at all levels above parish council ... even then there's much open to debate ...

I'm pretty fed-up with the self-obsession and career-prospect mindedness of our current politicians ... just today there's been another parliamentary committee meeting focussed on nothing but the people in parliament ... for goodness sake, there's just 650 of them and with an average of around 100,000 people in each constituency, each one is there to represent the other 99,999 and themselves, yet they concentrate on themselves as opposed to the electorate .... and don't even get me started on the 'numpty-headed' over-promoted public-sector failures which are responsible for such ridiculous ideas without personal accountability ...

Politicians should have a long-term & direct relationship with the constituency they represent and manifestos should be considered to be legally binding within preset timescales with penalties applied if not delivered, of course this would include automatic triggering of by-elections with exclusion of incumbents for at least one parliament ...

When it comes down to it, Ofgem are taking a seriously flawed logical position if looking to charge for generation & supply connectivity separately, especially so if 'small generators' are to be treated differently than large multi-national centralised generation ....

As previously mentioned ... I'd love to talk this through directly with Ofgem as long as they were willing to listen ... and if they weren't open to taking anything on-board, I'd be at least twice as insistent that as a sector regulator with a remit to protect the positions of consumers, they really, really do need to start taking consumer views on board as opposed to concentrating on supporting the moods & profitability of supply sector big-business ....

<Rant Mode - Disabled>

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another survey that seems to show public opinion and government opinion on leccy generation differing somewhat.

New evidence of overwhelming public support for solar
    The Ørsted Green Energy Barometer, which surveyed more than 26,000 people across 13 countries, asked just over 2,000 people in the UK where they would like to see more of their energy come from.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 15 November 2017 at 9:32PM
    Options
    The above from the Solar Power Portal.

You can sign up for their newsletter from the link above
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2017 at 10:04PM
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    The above from the Solar Power Portal.

You can sign up for their newsletter from the link above
    So why the obvious negativity ?? .... latest official UK government survey (02/11/2017) if you prefer ....

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/656549/Wave_23_Summary_Report.pdf

Re: Page 4
    Renewable energy

At wave 23, 82% of respondents expressed support for the use of renewable energy, a slight increase from 77% at wave 22, and 79% one year ago (wave 19). Opposition to renewables remained very low at 3%, with only 1% strongly opposed. Support for a range of renewable energy developments remained high: 84% of respondents said they supported solar energy, 79% supported both off-shore wind and wave and tidal, 74% supported on-shore wind, and 69% supported biomass

Nuclear energy

Support for the use of nuclear energy has remained fairly stable over the course of the tracker. At wave 23, 33% supported nuclear energy compared with 25% who were opposed. Those with an annual household income of £50,000 or more (42%), males (40%), those aged over 65 (42%), and those in social grade AB (38%) were the most likely to support the use of nuclear energy.

Four in ten (40%) selected the neutral option at this question, to indicate that they neither support nor oppose the use of nuclear energy.

... Interesting really .... looks like the industry is on the pretty much the same page as the government - it's just a shame that someone at BEIS can't even be bothered to notice that their report from 02/11/17 is still published under old DECC headings, which completes the circle to previous remarks concerning government bodies not really being on the ball ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    So why the obvious negativity ?? ....

It's a great shame that good RE news still causes upset within a small group. As my post a few days back pointed out, in reference to the UK survey -
    Only one person under 44 ‘strongly opposed’ wind out of 800 respondents in this age range.

opposition to renewables now seems to be an ideological issue largely confined to older folk, the classic 'grumpy old man' scenario, whilst acceptance lies more with the young.

Though on the MSE G&E board, I suspect enlightenment belongs to all ages.

As mentioned before, 2017 seems to be a stand out year, where many economic and acceptance points have been reached. Today will see the unveiling of the Tesla 'semi truck', that should be interesting.

A sexy truck will not sell, an 'I'm looking to the future' truck won't sell, but a truck that promises economic benefits to the fleet manager will sell, and sell well, so this is a real test for Tesla and a major step forward (if it works) for the transport industry ... IMO.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    So why the obvious negativity ?? .... l

Not negativity at all - merely pointing out that people can read the incessantly posted solar industry publicity themselves.

As for surveys. Ask the right question and most people would vote against famine, disease, war etc etc in The Third World. Ask them to support a massive increase in Foreign Aid to achieve those objectives and the support would be???

A sizeable percentage of the population voted for BREXIT because £350,000 a week extra will go to the NHS; won't it?

Obviously people would vote 'for' RE, including myself. After all the wind and sun are Free;) and they lower energy costs - don't they? We then don't need as many conventional/nuclear power stations, as RE can be relied upon to always meet peak demand - can't it?
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    So why the obvious negativity ?? .... latest official UK government survey (02/11/2017) if you prefer ....

Not only the 23 reports by DECC/BEIS which have been extremely consistent, but I'm not sure if I've posted this report about the UK, Germany, France and Norway before.

Table 8 page 27 shows energy preferences. I was particularly shocked at the French nuclear result, but wind and solar were unsurprisingly very high as always. I guess the results reflect experience.

European Perceptions of Climate Change (EPCC)
    Topline findings of a surveyconducted in four European countries in 2016

• Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 November 2017 at 4:55PM
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Not negativity at all - merely pointing out that people can read the incessantly posted solar industry publicity themselves.

As this thread is about green energy, then I would expect it to include posts pointing readers to relevant articles about the solar industry, including those from the industry. From what I have seen on these boards I reckon most here are intelligent enough to at least form something of a judgement on the reliability of the various sources of information.

Your last post clearly indicates that you have used this thread to express your personal angst with the solar industry. From past experience it also appears to be an attempt to goad others into arguing with you. Time and time again we see what could be healthy debate go beyond reasonable. That is not the purpose of this nor indeed the other threads on similar topics. I'm pretty sure that those who have set up individual threads have done so for those who share their enthusiasm for Green and RE not for argument.

I would be grateful if you didn't attempt to defend your position to this post as really I am not interested. I have had my say and I would be very very grateful if you would respect the wishes of the majority of the readers and contributors of these threads to keep them to the purposes intended by those who started the threads and share these interests.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport