We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Slug/snail success stories?

Options
In anticipation of getting into the spring and we start seeing more of our slithery friends, I wanted to ask if anyone has had success with getting rid of slugs and snails?

Every year we have major problems with them. Plants have literally been devoured overnight. I tried beer traps which seemed to work well but we have quite a large garden so would need several of them which would cost a fortune in beer!

My nightly ritual in the summer usually consists of patrolling the garden with a tub of salt, which I know is awful but I’m at my wits end.

How do you get rid of them long term and stop them coming back year on year?

What methods has everyone tried and had success with?

Comments

• silverwhistle
    Options
    Long term success? None!

I use beer traps very successfully, and the secret is to use slops from your local pub. Make it easy for them and go with your bottle and a funnel. Have a pint whilst you're there (do that first!). Use multiple small traps.

I also go out at night with a torch and rubber gloves which is a particularly useful technique when they're actually on the plants. They then get flushed down the loo. In spite of seeing two hedgehogs together last year and having a wildlife friendly garden and not using slug pellets I don't get any noticeable predation by natural controls.

I might splash out on nematodes next growing season, so would welcome comments on that method.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Long term success? None!

I use beer traps very successfully, and the secret is to use slops from your local pub. Make it easy for them and go with your bottle and a funnel. Have a pint whilst you're there (do that first!). Use multiple small traps.

I also go out at night with a torch and rubber gloves which is a particularly useful technique when they're actually on the plants. They then get flushed down the loo. In spite of seeing two hedgehogs together last year and having a wildlife friendly garden and not using slug pellets I don't get any noticeable predation by natural controls.

I might splash out on nematodes next growing season, so would welcome comments on that method.

I think I'm going to persevere with beer traps this year but put loads of them out. Good idea on asking the local for slops.

Does it matter what type of beer gets put out do you know? Like if I used Tescos own would if be as effective?
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you can stand the :eek: They are attracted to citrus, so orange or lemon peel about the garden would attract them. I'm afraid I use pellets, will swop to nematodes after the ban.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have friable soil that dries-out fast, so not too many of the perishers to deal with, fortunately. I use pellets sparingly inside the edges of the polytunnel and sometimes in a very few sensitive places, like the prize hosta, but a tub lasts years, so I probably have enough in my stash to see me out!

I imagine when metaldehyde is banned, companies will 'discover' a better product, not specifically for us, but for the really big users on the farms.
  • d0nkeyk0ng
    Options
    I've tried nemaslug type product without much success. Pellets make a difference on the patio but I'm concerned about using them (even food safe ones) in the vegetable beds. By all accounts, copper is mildly discouraging but won't stopped determined slugs. A high enough concentration of salt would probably kill them, along with all the vegetation.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    d0nkeyk0ng wrote: »
    Pellets make a difference on the patio but I'm concerned about using them (even food safe ones) in the vegetable beds.

I never gave it a thought that there were any that weren't food safe. I use them at the allotment and have done for years.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nematodes work but can only apply certain times of the year and they work best for around 6 weeks or so.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I heard a phone in on Gardener's Corner (Radio Ulster) Where a man claimed that he watered hostas as soon as the 'points' showed, with a mix of garlic, washing up liquid and water once a week. He reckoned that his hostas were unmarked by snails. I've tried the garlic and water spray with some success so going to try this as soon as they break through (or maybe before!)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Linda32 wrote: »
    I never gave it a thought that there were any that weren't food safe. I use them at the allotment and have done for years.

They ought to be, officially at least.

Think of the tonnes annually flung at potato and similar crops by commercial growers.

Unless people buy organic, they're still proxy users, but they don't usually like having that pointed out!
  • Brambleberry
    Options
    Nematodes have been the biggest help and we have ninja slugs that scale the whole front of our house:eek:
    Be prepared to do the repeat treatments and possibly consider going beyond the edges of your own boundaries if you can get permission from your neighbours.
    ***Mortgage Free Oct 2018 - Debt Free again (after detour) June 2022***
    Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family