Octopus

Options
I've just started a switch from the shambles that is British Gas to Octopus, as the reviews I've read are very good. However, they've just informed me that as well as starting my direct debit (£117) on 15th February, they'll also take another £117 on 1st Feb, so I've got a "little bit of credit". I'm on a state pension plus a very small private one; I can't afford to have that much taken from my current account in one month. I've asked them to explain this but I'm starting to get cold feet...

Comments

• TobyJugg2
    Options
    That is their policy and they do 'just do it'
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You are paying a DD of £117 pm is this based upon usage or just a guess .
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you spent your £200 of the Winter Fuel Payment.

Don't forget you're not paying the old suppliers DD.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Quite a few energy companies will take an up front payment when the contract starts and then the normal direct debit a couple of weeks later as they cannot afford to bill in arrears like the big 6.

As Robin says, it's what your winter fuel allowance is for and you wont be paying BG unless you are in arrears with them. If you are in credit then that should be returned to you around six weeks after the switch.

You wont being paying for the same energy twice but your DD payments might overlap
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jeanners49 wrote: »
    I've just started a switch from the shambles that is British Gas to Octopus, as the reviews I've read are very good. However, they've just informed me that as well as starting my direct debit (£117) on 15th February, they'll also take another £117 on 1st Feb, so I've got a "little bit of credit". I'm on a state pension plus a very small private one; I can't afford to have that much taken from my current account in one month. I've asked them to explain this but I'm starting to get cold feet...

A quick tongue-in-cheek advice: Don't go with Outfox The Market.

If you don't like what they're doing, switch. But it is unlikely that the switch and the Octopus final bill will be completed before the DD is paid on 15 Feb. Then you'll have the problem of claiming a refund from Octopus.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Out of interest what's your actual consumption ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport