EDF Energy mandatory smart meter?

Options
I switched suppliers using MSE some months back.(September 2018) and I have just had a call saying that a condition of the Easy Online account was that I agreed to have a smart meter fitted.

I was not aware of this otherwise I wouldn't have agreed to the tariff.

It is generally held that smart meters are not mandatory but it seems possible that in this specific case they are.

Was MSE aware of this pre-condition? I don't recall it being mentioned during the switching process. I suspect that if it is in the Ts&Cs then it may be concealed somewhere around Page 46 of very fine print.

So, can MSE advise me what to do next?

What is my position if I don't agree to having a smart meter fitted? Will my deal be ceased leaving me without a supplier?

Oh, and it is SMETS1 which will be (magically) updated in software at some later date to SMETS2.

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 January 2019 at 6:52PM
    Options
    Look at the T&C's for your tariff - it's up to you to check what you are signing up for meets your needs (even if there is some info on page 46 of a fine print contract).

Actually, the T&C's are on just seven pages and the requirement for a smart meter is on the front page. It's also in para 3.5 of the detailed T&C's on page 2

https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/r1179r883.pdf?_ga=2.81970975.882513259.1547660775-1367206244.1547477408

Although there is no law that says you have to have smart meter, energy companies can make it a condition of certain tariffs.

If it's a condition and you refuse to have one then you wont be left without energy but you'll be shifted onto a tariff that does not require a smart meter which is likely to be more expensive, possibly their standard variable tariff.

Not sure if they can backdate it to the contract start date as well because you refused to have oine installed.

Your choice
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    According to the EFF website, a smart meter is requirted with this tariff.
    https://my.edfenergy.com/gas-electricity/easy-online
    Why this tariff?

Save money
    Save money: do everything online – you get our cheapest fixed prices

Save time
    Save time: pay by Direct Debit – it's the quickest and easiest way

Save hassle
    Save hassle: manage your account online 24/7 – no more waiting on the phone

Smart Meter
    Smart meter: having a Smart meter installed by us, when we’re installing them in your area
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    read the small print from when you signed up if you have it.

You won't be without a supplier, but they could move you onto the expensive standard tarriff which is not good in winter!

Ask if they have an appointment in April.
    Say your work away from home for 3 months
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport