Change from prepayment meters to "normal" meters

Options
I have just moved into a new home and have the prepayment meters in. I want these changed asap. With the current supplier I can't change them till 4th March. Is there another way to get these changed sooner. It's cost me £100 in 2 weeks!!! Please help!!!!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 January 2019 at 12:45AM
    Options
    Prepayment meter rates are capped/subsidised and are cheaper than a suppliers standard variable rates.The fact that you use prepayment meters does not add too much to the weekly use. If you are using £50 a week in the meters possibly it would ve cost you £48 a week with a yearly fixed deal..You would have to visit a comparison site to get an accurate breakdown on weekly/monthly use costs..Try inputting a guestimate of your yearly kwh usage in UKpower.co.uk to see the differences for a year at various amounts using both prepay and credit meter fixed rates to see your actual loss..
    Please check the prepay meters menu to see if there are any preloaded debts from past tenants on the meter.The electric key meters the debt screens are on S and T..on the gas meter card meters they are on 26 and 27..
    The new Liberty Secure meters which are commonly set to prepay mode you will have to consult the www to get info on these meters
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,613 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have you actually registered with the supplier and got your own account with them otherwise you could be paying off the previous occupants debt.

You could ask other suppliers if they'll take you on and replace your meter especially if you agree to a smart meter
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    typical PAYG rates (this is sse - lancs)
    gas
    27.19p per day
    3.563p per kWh.

electric
    28.96p per day
    14.200p per kWh

as previously said , not a lot different to standard variable rates , have you bit NEW keus/card or are you using ones that were left in the house ?

the meter will clock up its standing charge when house is empty , if old cards and say 3 - 6 mths empty , every time you put £10 on it will take a good few quid for debt

ensure new card/key , check for arrears
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport