IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Trading Standards ... we will see ?

Options

Comments

• The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    I have made several complaints to Reading TS. All have been followed up on. Two concerned misleading property descriptions, one about a NTK from APCOA at Tilehurst station, one about a FOREX dealer in Bicester Village Outlet, and one about a dangerous speaker on eBay,

Unfortunately they declined to take action in three of them. In the Ebay case the product was withdrawn and a recall ordered and in the other the estate agent was order to rewrite the advertisement.

The Head TSO is always helpful and friendly, but he is up against the Hammass supporting Labour controlled Reading Council, who would rather spend money employing Diversity Co-ordinators and Five-a-day monitors than protecting the rights of the consumer.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Different to my experience with TS this week. I went on my local council's website to see about how i contact TS. There was an email address. I wrote an email about my complaint one evening. By 10.30 the next morning i had a reply from a human being explaining my rights for my particular case.
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    I have made several complaints to Reading TS. All have been followed up on. Two concerned misleading property descriptions, one about a NTK from APCOA at Tilehurst station, one about a FOREX dealer in Bicester Village Outlet, and one about a dangerous speaker on eBay,

Unfortunately they declined to take action in three of them. In the Ebay case the product was withdrawn and a recall ordered and in the other the estate agent was order to rewrite the advertisement.

The Head TSO is always helpful and friendly, but he is up against the Hammass supporting Labour controlled Reading Council, who would rather spend money employing Diversity Co-ordinators and Five-a-day monitors than protecting the rights of the consumer.

We will see what happens to my complaint.

I agree that Reading council wastes money and then moans
    it does not have money. We know who the ringleader on
    this one don't we
  • beamerguy
    Options
    lindens wrote: »
    Different to my experience with TS this week. I went on my local council's website to see about how i contact TS. There was an email address. I wrote an email about my complaint one evening. By 10.30 the next morning i had a reply from a human being explaining my rights for my particular case.

Yes i had that, at least I got a complaint ref number
  • The_Deep
    Options
    We know who the ringleader on this one don't we

We certainly do, I have complained to the treasurer about her wasting my exhorbitant Council Tax, (Band G), on motions of support for Palestine.
  • Computersaysno
    Computersaysno Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When the police are busy telling shopkeepers to simply let shoplifters go if the value of stolen goods is less than £75 [iirc?]....then I'm not holding out much hope for you even getting a reply, let alone action from TS.
  • The_Deep
    Options
    If TS do not reply one can always escalate it to an official complaint to the CEO. There is no profit in annoying CT payers.
  • beamerguy
    Options
    When the police are busy telling shopkeepers to simply let shoplifters go if the value of stolen goods is less than £75 [iirc?]....then I'm not holding out much hope for you even getting a reply, let alone action from TS.

We will see. This thread will provide good information as to
    whether we can suggest that people use these organisations
  • The_Deep
    Options
    I would advise everyone to complain in writing to their TSD. My opinion of the CAB is that it is staffed by well meaning amateurs, many of whom are less well-informed of consumer law than my good-self.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 August 2018 at 10:04AM
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    I would advise everyone to complain in writing to their TSD. My opinion of the CAB is that it is staffed by well meaning amateurs, many of whom are less well-informed of consumer law than my good-self.

I like being a well meaning amateur.

:T:T

I do think it's important to differentiate between CAB and the Consumer Helpline (which the government awarded to CitA). As has been said CAB volunteers deal with a large range of different subjects and there is no question that someone like yourself (or some on this forum for example) will have a deeper knowledge of a specific subject if you spend a lot of time on forums or researching or whatever. The other side of the coin is how would you fare with a benefits, employment, relationship breakdown etc etc query

I certainly have more knowledge than any of my colleagues on parking following my time here. Not that it makes much difference as I haven't seen a client with a parking ticket issue for at least two years. They are rare on the ground and, if we do get one, it's quite often to do with LA - not - private - parking.

The Consumer helpline is a different entity which deals solely with that subject. I assume the staff there are paid. Unless we, on the ground, can answer the query from our information sources we'll pass the client on to the helpline.

ETA. I still disagree with your advice on writing to TS. It may work in certain areas but the vast majority of councils ask you to go through the Consumer Helpline and, at least one, has specifically said they will not deal with a letter. I am pleased to say that both CM and BeamerGuy (sorry MercGuy!), while not necessarily agreeing with the system, understood why I said this and CM has referenced it in at least one post.

That's nothing to do with how good anyone is at what they do and who "should" do what. It's about pointing people (especially newbies) in the right direction and trying to avoid rejections for not following the corrrect procedure
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure