Self Assessment with more than one business

Options
Hi, I've been self-employed for about ten years so have done lots of tax returns, but am a little uncertain this year and wondered if anyone could help.

I am a sole trader, so in previous years I just did a return for the one business. However, for the last 18 months I've also been running a separate, totally distinct business AND have been doing some unrelated freelance work.

I was about to list all three on the return, but then wondered if I had to as technically I am the business, due to being a sole trader, if that makes sense. Do I just list myself, or do I do all three? And if all three, how do I word the freelance work as it's not really a business as such?

Thanks for any help?

Comments

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If it is "just you", then you can put it all on the same s/e section of the tax return. Would be a lot easier that way as you wouldn't have to apportion your "joint" costs between each separate business. Just change the business nature description to include everything and if there's not enough space, put more detail in the "additional information" free text box on the S/e page.
  • weezypops
    Options
    Pennywise wrote: »
    If it is "just you", then you can put it all on the same s/e section of the tax return. Would be a lot easier that way as you wouldn't have to apportion your "joint" costs between each separate business. Just change the business nature description to include everything and if there's not enough space, put more detail in the "additional information" free text box on the S/e page.

Brilliant, that's exactly what I hoped someone would say! Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure