University Ownership of novel?

Options
I'm unsure if this is in the correct place, so please redirect if incorrect!

If one were to write a novel whilst a student at University, and it is published and successful, would the University have any rights to the novel? If not, does it change matters if part of the novel are submitted as part of your course (e.g.: a creative writing assignment)?

Having posed this question to a lecturer, I've been advised that the University would have no ownership as it would deter people from studying there and ownership over creations whilst at Uni is more towards students studying sciences, for example, as they are using University equipment.

Can anyone shed any light?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Uni wouldn't hold any rights, hubby has just completed w book as part of an illustration MA. Book got a distinction and is part of the unis exhibition of work BUT that's the limit of their benefit. He owns it and is going to get it published.
  • kfurfie05
    Options
    That's fantastic, thanks so much!
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd agree with _shel, but if you search your university's website for "intellectual property" you might either find something that will confirm it or give you the name of the uni's IP officer so that you can ask them to confirm.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I know when I did my English degree I did a Creative Writing module and they asked us not to submit anything for publication if it had been expressly written for an assignment question until after it had been assessed- and then the identifying marks for assessment and tutors feedback must be removed before publication. I asked my CW tutor (a current published author) if we were to write something totally off our own backs and completely independent of the course and sent it for publication would there be any issue- she basically said it’s none of the university’s business what you do in your spare time as long as it doesn’t bring them into disrepute.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure