Hotmail Account

Options
aayush
aayush Posts: 1,295 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Hi

Who do I need to contact to advise am going abroad and need to have access to my Hotmail account As had an issue last time as was blocked thus was not contactable on my account as had an urgent issue on the email only found out when I got back in the UK

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Often access my Hotmail account whilst overseas and never had that happen to me.

If you install a VPN like tunnel bear, you can make it appear as if you are still in the UK https://www.tunnelbear.com/
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Where are you going to,some hotels can block mail. If your in the EU just use your data,if not get local sim card.
  • Uxb1
    Uxb1 Posts: 732 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mobileron wrote: »
    Where are you going to,some hotels can block mail. If your in the EU just use your data,if not get local sim card.

The issue for the OP is (for them anyway) that MS detects that the user is is a different/non-home country so whether they use their roaming data or hotel or other wifi or a local sim card will not matter - the IP address given by the local supplying network operator will be an address local to that country....and MS will know this.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    And won't care in the slightest. Something else was blocking the OP's email last time they were abroad.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did MS block it last time under the "unusual activity on your account" when you logged in from a location that you had never logged in before?

I've just had someone or something try to hack one of mine from the Far East, and all I did was request MS to send an access code to the recovery e-mail which I had previously specified on the account, and I was up and running again
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    To be honest a lot of problems like this are caused because somebody else uses their email address as a recovery address. Which is okay until you need to get access to that email account and the recovery email doesn't work because its owner lost it/forgot its password/died/fell out with the person who used their email as recovery...

TL;DR - check your recovery email addresses now before you go and ensure it is one that you can get access to (or log into it via Tor or something and check that you can get to those recovery emails from that before you go). A little preparation now will save headaches later.
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you using your mobile to access your hotmail email or planning on using a hotel/cyber cafe to access on the web at https://www.outlook.com?
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 July 2019 at 5:02PM
    Options
    This article suggests that Hotmail locks you out of your account if you're estimated to be over 300 miles from your normal location. You can override this by authorising a specific device before you go.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/985057/Hotmail-login-abroad-Outlook-email-verification

- First Login to your account.
    - Under “Security & Privacy” select "Manage Advanced Security."
    - Go to the “protect your account" page.
    - Choose any option to get a code, and request it.
    - You will see a box that reads: "I sign in frequently on this device. Don't ask me for a code.”
    - Tick it, and enter the most recent verification SMS code.
    - Now you can log in to your Outlook email from anywhere
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I use a VPN so my outlook account logins jump all over the world. I'd recommend setting up 2-factor authentication (2FA) on your account(s) as this will provide extra security that Microsoft can use to verify any suspicious account logins. You will need to register a phone number, or set up an authentication app which can generate codes on your phone/compatible device as a second layer of security - you then login as normal and enter the details when prompted. This will verify that you are indeed the real owner and allow you to login as normal, even though you are accessing your account from a "suspicious" location.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12408/microsoft-account-how-to-use-two-step-verification
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure