eBay/shpock/ gumtree

Options
I'm really confused, I've always used eBay to sell our stuff but recently I've heard lots about shpock and gumtree being better as listing is free?
Can anyone here give me and explanation of the risks/ benefits of each of these selling platforms and is it worth while spending the time to list on all 3???
Thanks in advance for your help :-)
Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023

Comments

• ilikewatch
    ilikewatch Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    Shpock, Gumtree and Facebook are primarily aimed at local sales with cash on collection - they are sometimes used for distance sales with postage, but depending on the payment method used this creates additional risk for either the buyer or seller. All of these platforms can be good for items which can't be posted due to size/weight etc.

Ebay has a much bigger audience and will tend to achieve the best prices, especially for rare/niche items. Ebay offers a greater level of protection to buyers and sellers for distance sales.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    ilikewatch wrote: »
    Shpock, Gumtree and Facebook are primarily aimed at local sales with cash on collection - they are sometimes used for distance sales with postage, but depending on the payment method used this creates additional risk for either the buyer or seller. All of these platforms can be good for items which can't be posted due to size/weight etc.

Ebay has a much bigger audience and will tend to achieve the best prices, especially for rare/niche items. Ebay offers a greater level of protection to buyers and sellers for distance sales.

I would agree with exception to the last comment. eBay doesn't offer a greater protection to sellers for distance sales. eBay is safe for buyers but comparing to a cash for item site, eBay is worse for sellers.

The other sites are designed to be cash sale/purchases and therefore the buyer and seller should meet, assess the item and exchange money.
  • in_the_Cotswolds
    in_the_Cotswolds Posts: 860 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 September 2017 at 10:18PM
    Options
    I've used Ebay, Sphock, and Gumtree. I've found the following: with Sphock all listings are done via phone relatively quick to do. I've sold my iPhones 5s, also bought items and paid via PayPal. You will get a lot of time wasters or wanting to trade money and goods. I've had items on there and they haven't sold.

Gumtree: sold a dining table and chairs in about 4 hrs also my iPhone 6. Photographed table and chairs, put it on Gumtree about 10am sold it about 4hrs later. However the same as Sphock I have had items on there that haven't sold. Both were cash sales

Ebay: With me it's been very hit and miss. Some items sold others not a chance.

Can't comment on Facebook because I don't have an account although thinking of joining just to sell items.
  • Emmaaar22
    Options
    I personally think Sphock is ideal for large furnishings, household goods etc I`ve never been able to sell on there. I think you do well depending on the size of the location of where you live. So I live in a town and not many sellers or even buyers. London you would do extremely well.

A lot of people have said Ebay has gone down hill over the last couple of years, mainly due to scammers..So you have to watch out for those especially with expensive items. They receive the item, they destroy the item and ask for a refund back and theres nothing you can do about it, Ebay normally and always favours the buyer. Also fees, post ten and more items and you get charged, even when you do post ten items you still get a small charge just for posting. If you want to try Ebay and i`m not trying to scare you, but I would say go for it. Look out for the offers Ebay send you in your inbox.

Have you heard of Mercari? It`s also another phone app which is similar to Sphock. Except on there people like your items to be around the £1 or £2 mark. A lot of junk gets sold on there like glitter pots, beauty products etc. The things that do sell, from what I`ve heard is baby clothing, clothing, beauty products and that`s about it. You won`t find nothing expensive.

Facebook Marketplace - I dunno what to say about this one, you can get a lot of people commenting on your items, asking you to put the price down or whatever. Then you would find your items don`t sell, I sell mainly clothing and don`t have alot of luck on it. However, if you tried Facebook groups like a facebook group that is dedicated to selling items from your area from other people then give it a go. Because I have sold everything from furnishings to clothes on it, you might get people ask you to try something on. It can be full of time wasters and no shows though.
    2017 Wins - Coco Pops, £100 Amazon voucher, Elf T-shirt, £250 Zalando Voucher and £250 FeelUnique Voucher, private gig concerts
    2018 Wins - Steep xbox game, 2 tangle teezer, Contagion Book, JC Annual, water sports bottle, 10p, 2 cricket tickets, can of fizz, 10p, Ribenia, Johnson baby products
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Emmaaar22 wrote: »

... Also fees, post ten and more items and you get charged, even when you do post ten items you still get a small charge just for posting.

Are you saying you [think you] get free postage or no fees if you send less than 10 items?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,285 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think the target markets are different on the various sites. I am currently doing exceptionally well on ebay which is brilliant, but I am also selling a fair bit via Shpock. Whilst doing well on Shpock the numbers are nowhere comparable with those on ebay , but I do use it for stuff I just want rid off. I find a lot of time wasters on Shpock though, so after two or three unsuccessful collections I relist and report them- although more and more people now want to pay via paypal and have their goods sent and that suits me on the smaller items. The other thing about Shpock, and I mentioned it on the dedicated thread, is that I've noticed a big increase eon people wanting stuff delivered at no extra cost, even £5 items when they live 30 miles away!

I've virtually given up on Facebook, the percentage of time wasters was far too high. Likewise gumtree, absolute waste of time for me, not worth spending time listing there as all I got was scammers.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you saying you [think you] get free postage or no fees if you send less than 10 items?
    I've no idea what that was all about either. I thought it may refer to free listings but could be wrong. Didn't there used to be 10 free listings after which you were charged?

Whilst I'm here and as I didn't want to give them a new thread, has anyone on here used Buuy?
  • soolin
    Options
    RFW wrote: »
    I've no idea what that was all about either. I thought it may refer to free listings but could be wrong. Didn't there used to be 10 free listings after which you were charged?

Whilst I'm here and as I didn't want to give them a new thread, has anyone on here used Buuy?

I don't think ebay have ever had 10 entirely free listings with no postage fees - but then there are so many offers on private accounts I can't be sure.

I haven't even heard of Buuy, but the format looks OK, good clean tidy pages, so might be worth a look. I wonder where their money is coming from?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Buuy has a long story behind it setting up, mostly on a couple of other forums I visit and on twitter. One to be avoided really.

https://blog.buuy.co.uk

Just a few days ago they were trying to crowdfund 5k for "server boosting". They had less than £100 when I last looked. There's not a lot of anything behind them, apart from hot air and vivid imaginations! Even the forum had a massive 32 members online at once. I know we have to start somewhere but with some money behind you would be a good start!
  • soolin
    Options
    Buuy has a long story behind it setting up, mostly on a couple of other forums I visit and on twitter. One to be avoided really.

https://blog.buuy.co.uk

Just a few days ago they were trying to crowdfund 5k for "server boosting". They had less than £100 when I last looked. There's not a lot of anything behind them, apart from hot air and vivid imaginations! Even the forum had a massive 32 members online at once. I know we have to start somewhere but with some money behind you would be a good start!

That's a shame , the layout on a very brief glance actually looked quite good. I'm really not sure though how a completely free model will actually work- we only have to look at ebid that trade entirely on hoping people will be daft enough (like I was ) to sign up for the lifetime membership, to see it just doesn't build up any momentum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure