Joint bank account question

Options
Good afternoon all,

I am in the Armed Forces and my wife doesn't work she is a stay at home mum with the young children. Unfortunately she has a bad credit score from her younger days.
My questions is when I am away she has no access to money and I was wondering what the best way to go was as I understand you are not allowed two debit cards for a current account.
We are living in married quarters at the moment and wanting to save to buy our own house and I know of your financially connected her credit score could bring mine down.
Cheers

Comments

• benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why does she have no access to money? Can't she just open a basic bank account in her own name and use that?
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • TRAGO1987
    Options
    She has a bank account yeah. Its just she doesn't work and if I am not contactable which is a lot of the time and needs money I can't just transfer it.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TRAGO1987 wrote: »
    She has a bank account yeah. Its just she doesn't work and if I am not contactable which is a lot of the time and needs money I can't just transfer it.

You could try to work out how much she's likely to need to cover all likely eventualities and transfer that much into her account.

Alternatively (or for emergencies only), what about getting a credit card in your name and adding her as an additional cardholder? That won't create a financial association.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not sure why it has to be a joint account but if it has to be, could the Yorkshire Building Society Cash Card Saver be an option? I believe there is no credit check for this account, and it doesn't show up n your credit files - - though you'd have to confirm with YBS that this is indeed the case.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What about child benefit? Where does that go? That is so irresponsible to leave your wife and children with no income whatsoever. She may be a stay at home mum but they are your children too. Suppose she ran out of money for food or fuel?

You are right in that if she has a bad credit record you would do better not linking to her financially as that may affect your ability to borrow at a reasonable rate but there are things you can do. She presumably has a basic account so why not do a monthly standing order so she has access to something or transfer money in just before you go away?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • TRAGO1987
    Options
    Who are you to question me! I do absolutely everything for her and my children. I transfer them money by standing order but I asked a question to if there is anything better or a bank that can have two debit cards.

Been in over 12 years and have 3 children and always put them first so I suggest you get back in your box.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why can you not just transfer money each month when you are paid, to cover her and the kids for the whole month? You're not being a daft surely and just transferring a few bob as and when she needs to buy something?

Or an even easier method... Give her your login for internet banking, so she can transfer herself the money? I'm presuming you trust your own wife.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Where do you get the idea you can’t have two cards? A card each is the norm with a joint account.
  • stevenhp1987
    Options
    Where do you get the idea you can’t have two cards? A card each is the norm with a joint account.

From the opening post, they don't seem to want a joint account for fear their partners credit history will destroy theirs.

Op, when you say "younger days", how long ago was it? Defaults are removed after 6 years.

Even if they're not removed yet, there may be little harm in opening a joint account as that will solve the issue.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Sparx wrote: »
    Or an even easier method... Give her your login for internet banking, so she can transfer herself the money? I'm presuming you trust your own wife.

That would almost certainly violate the terms and conditions of the account so not a good idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure