Gas Mains Replacement - Weekend home

Options
cubegame
cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
We currently have a house which we are occupying only at the weekend and Southern Gas Networks are currently performing gas main replacement on the street.

They sent a letter some months ago saying they would be in touch if they required access to the house but we've heard nothing.

They've been working down the street and have now gone past our house (although they've started excavations outside).

I realise I'll have to take the bull by the horns and phone them to find out what is going on but do we have the right to insist the work is done when the house is occupied?

Just wondered if anyone has any relevant experience.

Comments

• tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi
    My estate was done a few years ago. Worker popped in for a couple of minutes to check boiler. They came at a time convenient for me.
    It may be they don't need access to your house but it would't harm to ask.
    Hope it all goes well.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    We had the same work recently replacing mains ans services. The workers were very considerate and when the changeover was done checks were done at our convenience.

Have you a contact name and number on the letter ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They may not need access to the house to disconnect the gas at the start of the day, but if they're turning your gas off they will require access to check the gas installation and appliances before turning the gas back on.

They cannot reconnect supply without checking the house in case you or someone has a gas appliance that's been left on and doesn't have a flame failure device, so when the supply is reconnected it would be !!!!ing gas (that's a technical term) into your house.

If your is the last house to be checked everyone in the street will be waiting for you. If they can't get access then they may disconnect your house so they can turn on the gas for everyone else in the street. Potentially that would then result in reconnection charges.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    Options
    cubegame wrote: »
    We currently have a house which we are occupying only at the weekend and Southern Gas Networks are currently performing gas main replacement on the street.

They sent a letter some months ago saying they would be in touch if they required access to the house but we've heard nothing.

They've been working down the street and have now gone past our house (although they've started excavations outside).

I realise I'll have to take the bull by the horns and phone them to find out what is going on but do we have the right to insist the work is done when the house is occupied?

Just wondered if anyone has any relevant experience.

No, but you should be able to arrange a mutually agreeable date/time when they can attend your property to reconnect the gas supply safely.
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    Options
    They may not need access to the house to disconnect the gas at the start of the day, but if they're turning your gas off they will require access to check the gas installation and appliances before turning the gas back on.

They cannot reconnect supply without checking the house in case you or someone has a gas appliance that's been left on and doesn't have a flame failure device, so when the supply is reconnected it would be !!!!ing gas (that's a technical term) into your house.

If your is the last house to be checked everyone in the street will be waiting for you. If they can't get access then they may disconnect your house so they can turn on the gas for everyone else in the street. Potentially that would then result in reconnection charges.

Sorry, that is just scaremongering.

They will be disconnecting everyone affected whilst they replace the mains pipe.

As you indicate, there is a method available to isolate an individual property, so everyone in the street does not have to wait until everyone elses property is checked.
    In fact, they will only reconnect one property at a time, as it is being checked (or however may engineers they have available, but it won't be one engineer per property to enable a single switch on)

As properties are being disconnected by SGN to enable essential maintenance work to take place, there will be no charge for reconnection for any property that was disconnected as a result of this essential work.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for replies.

I phoned Sgn yesterday and was advised that I need to speak to the local site manager. Apparently until they raise a need for an appointment locally they can't act.

I guess we will just have to wait for a card through the door.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure