Do I have to pay the ppi claims company if I never signed anything with them

Options
wolvesmat
wolvesmat Posts: 18 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
edited 4 June 2018 at 10:41PM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
Recently I came across an ad online from uclaim4me for a free ppi check.
It just asked for the basic personal details name address DOB etc. I gave my details. Heard nothing from the claims company. No

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If they can't prove you have a contract with them, then no.
    wolvesmat wrote: »
    Plus the fact that I'm the one going back and forth to the bank doing all the running about and chasing people so what exactly do they think they can charge me £350 for is beyond me

They charge for posting your complaint for you. That's all a claims company can do. You need to do the rest.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Which was a surprise as I hadn't given anyone the go ahead to chase my claim I just thought I was requesting a free ppi check.

Banks wont divulge information to CMCs without a signature from you. However, if the CMC sent something to the bank, then they may start the process as you have effectively let the bank know that you are looking for miss-sale purposes.
    The day after banking the cheque I've had texts and emails from uclaim4me demanding their 30% fee plus 20% vat .

It is a requirement in CMC rules that a wet signature is required on their "letter of authority". Tell them that you dont recall employing them to make a PPI complaint and ask that they supply you with a copy of your signed contract. If they cant provide the contract, they cant enforce the payment.
    Plus the fact that I'm the one going back and forth to the bank doing all the running about and chasing people so what exactly do they think they can charge me £350 for is beyond me

Same as what all CMCs do. They stick a stamp on an envelope and send it to the free-of-charge to use complaints address for each bank. That is all they do. Nothing else.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Jojokitten0904
    Jojokitten0904 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 30 May 2018 at 5:49PM
    Options
    Ive had exactly the same happen to me!
    Received cheque out of the blue on Saturday, then uclaim4me come out if the woodwork.
    Never heard anything from them at all prior.
    I also never signed anything and asked them to claim for me.
    They got quite arsey when I phoned them and asked who they were and what they wanted
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive had exactly the same happen to me!
    Received cheque out of the blue on Saturday, then uclaim4me come out if the woodwork.
    Never heard anything from them at all prior.
    I also never signed anything and asked them to claim for me.
    They got quite arsey when I phoned them and asked who they were and what they wanted

Ask them for a copy of their signed letter of authority to represent you. If the can't produce it you don't need to worry.
  • Jojokitten0904
    Options
    I!!!8217;ve just spoken to trading standards and it!!!8217;s all in T&C in a website which I apparently found of Facebook called !!!8220; my offers!!!8221; and in the t& c they apparently can put things about 3rd party and that the information can be used for what ever once ticked.
    You don!!!8217;t need a wet signature or a signature, just an agreement via a tick on which ever site you originally went on via Facebook.
    So it seems I haven!!!8217;t got a leg to stand on.
    The moral of the story is always read the T&Cs
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I!!!8217;ve just spoken to trading standards and it!!!8217;s all in T&C in a website which I apparently found of Facebook called !!!8220; my offers!!!8221; and in the t& c they apparently can put things about 3rd party and that the information can be used for what ever once ticked.
    You don!!!8217;t need a wet signature or a signature, just an agreement via a tick on which ever site you originally went on via Facebook.
    So it seems I haven!!!8217;t got a leg to stand on.
    The moral of the story is always read the T&Cs

Ts & Cs aren't necessarily enforceable if they are illegal. If the firm tries to say they don't need a proper signature but legally they do, that term is unenforceable. Speak to someone who actually knows what they are doing - the legal ombudsman - who regulates the claims companies
  • Jojokitten0904
    Jojokitten0904 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 31 May 2018 at 2:23PM
    Options
    This was from trading standards, ombudsman just told me to make a complaint in writing to the company and wait 30days for their response, then if they don!!!8217;t have a signature or any proof , then they!!!8217;ll intervene.
    The company have said they have a signature which was done through a different company, and as I said , because I ticked the T&Cs saying I would allow my information to be used by a 3rd party , I!!!8217;ve signed for this 3rd party to apparently claim on my behalf, whether I heard from them or gave them permission personally or not.
    So as I said , it!!!8217;s looking bleak as Barclays wouldn!!!8217;t have given the information to the company if they didn!!!8217;t have a signature.
    It!!!8217;s the loophole in the system where company like the above can make money out of people without having to do a thing , probably only giving my name as a possible claimant , simple, it just takes nerves and guts to do it.
    So it!!!8217;s not looking good
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Trading standards wont know company-specific requirements. They are not going to know the ministry of justice rules. They are looking at it purely from a trading standards point of view.

Ombudsman is giving you the correct answer.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ombudsman just told me to make a complaint in writing to the company and wait 30days for their response
    That's exactly what you should do. Why have you then approached Trading Standards?
  • Jojokitten0904
    Options
    All sorted now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills