extra energy mis calculation bill

Options
silkience
silkience Posts: 5 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
I recently swapped from extra energy to avro energy. extra energy wouldn't give me my final bill calculation on the phone even though they had calculated it before. it arrived and was over £500 for 8 weeks use. the bill looks wrong but theres lots of amendments on it and not clear to me. my tariff went from the fixed to their variable in jan 18 and i think that because they hadn't read my meter in a very long timer and were using estimates. i checked the meter incase it was faulty as advised but it looked ok for usage overnight with the just the fridge on. so it comes down to their calculation. are they charging me correctly? how can i check if their calculation is correct if i dont understand their amendments, cancelled bills and re bills its all very confusing. The advisors on the phone also avoid answering anything and say check your meter because they also agree, its way more than double that its ever been in my few years with them. they know im disputing this bill but im still getting emails threatening debt collection.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    silkience wrote: »
    I recently swapped from extra energy to avro energy. extra energy wouldn't give me my final bill calculation on the phone even though they had calculated it before. it arrived and was over £500 for 8 weeks use. the bill looks wrong but theres lots of amendments on it and not clear to me. my tariff went from the fixed to their variable in jan 18 and i think that because they hadn't read my meter in a very long timer and were using estimates. i checked the meter incase it was faulty as advised but it looked ok for usage overnight with the just the fridge on. so it comes down to their calculation. are they charging me correctly? how can i check if their calculation is correct if i dont understand their amendments, cancelled bills and re bills its all very confusing. The advisors on the phone also avoid answering anything and say check your meter because they also agree, its way more than double that its ever been in my few years with them. they know im disputing this bill but im still getting emails threatening debt collection.

Hi - welcome to the forum. If you haven’t been giving the supplier regular meter readings then, I am not sure you actually know how much energy you have been using. My guess is that you have what is known as a ‘catch up’ bill which is high because previous usage estimates have been too low. It has also been a cold Winter. Presumably, you have checked the meter readings against the bill that you have received?
  • silkience
    Options
    hi and thanks. i provided them with readings not every month but every few as well as a few readings by their employee. I can't access the dates and figures from their site of my historical readings. is there anywhere that i can take these bills to check that the company has indeed billed me correctly? whoever i speak to at extra avoids my questions and does not seem able to give an in depth answer to how they have calculated my bill. if my tariff changed what is to stop the company estimating that i used a tiny percentage of the fuel used before the price increase so it would make them more money. My eyes are opening by reading this forum about some not so honest practices used by these companies to make money
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You need to check your previous bills, to see if they have (E)stimated readings, (A)ctual readings or (C)ustomer readings.

If your previous bills have been estimated, then this is the reason for your big bill now.

You should still have access to your previous bills/statements.
  • silkience
    Options
    hi, I've just been checking them and it shows customer readings next to their estimate which was way lower than my actual. last provided one in feb.
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry if I have missed anything, are the readings estimated or yours?

I think I have read correctly that they are estimated. That is the reason for your large bill.

Not a lot you can do, but scream and pay the bill.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We are talking about a Final Bill here. Avro Energy as the gaining supplier was responsible for getting the meter readings provided on switch verified. The verified reading is then used to open and close the the accounts. If the verified reading differs from the one that the customer provided then it will have an 'E' annotation. The important things to check are:

1. Do the opening and closing readings agree? if not, speak to the gaining supplier.

2. Does the verified reading differ markedly from what is showing on the meter ( hence my question above). If there is a marked difference, then speak to the gaining supplier and ask them whether they can initiate an Agreed Readings Dispute?

Note:

Disputes can only be raised if the difference between the readings is sufficiently high. If the difference is more than 1200 kWh for gas, or 250 kWh for electricity, then the dispute can be raised; if the difference is within these values, the readings are deemed to be accurate, and the dispute cannot be raised. These are the values set by OFGEM, to regulate disputes.

The above does not mean that the consumer will end up paying twice for the same energy. It means that there may be a slight overpayment to one supplier with an underpayment to the other.

From April 2016, suppliers only have to obtain one meter reading per year. The Licence no longer stipulates how this reading has to be obtained. No meter readings are taken on a transfer of supply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure