Dash Cam won’t turn off

Options

Comments

• paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If you don't want it on just slide it off its mount and put it in the glove box
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    There are two types of live feed that the installer can have tapped into.

One is permanently live. There's electrickery there all the time the battery is connected.

The other is ignition-switched. There's only electrickery there when the ignition is switched on.

It does sound rather as if your installer has chosen the latter, instead of the former. The amount of electrickery the cam is using is likely to be minimal, so your risk of having a flat battery is low, especially if the vehicle is in daily use. The camera is on all the time, so you are gaining a chance of it catching your car being hit while parked.

I would say it sounds as though the installer used the former, not the latter.
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    Deastons wrote: »
    I would say it sounds as though the installer used the former, not the latter.

Yes, sounds like it's been hardwired to a permanently live supply rather than an ignition switched supply.
    A permanent supply and switched spply is usually required if the unit has a parking mode. There are connecting kits available for that usually with a little box of tricks to cut off the power at a predetermined car battery voltage etc..
    Nextbase no doubt sell one to suit?
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you opening the door to see if it is still on? Any vibration should turn it on in park mode.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    Are you opening the door to see if it is still on? Any vibration should turn it on in park mode.

No, I just look through the window. I know it’s very sensitive as every time I close the car door, it ‘locks’ a file so I have endless footage of nothing.

All the battery pack stuff is just too complicated for me. I bought this particular brand because they sounded more idiot-proof than others. I think I’ll just keep taking it out of the car when I’m not driving because I can’t work out what else to do and I’m unsure if it’s faulty or it’s been wired in wrongly etc. The only incident I’ve ever had occurred whilst the car was parked at home so it’s shame that it doesn’t seem to work how I thought it would.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It may very well work as you want it to. It's just not in the right mode.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As has been said for parking mode to work correctly you need to connect red to permanent live yellow to switched live and black to earth.

It seems your installer connected both red and yellow to permanent live. Take it back and tell him to do it correctly.

Why did you not get Halfords to fit?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Korkyb
    Korkyb Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I hardwired mine into my Mondeo & the power stays live for around 90 minutes then switches off.

No idea why it does that but if I'm parking it in town then 90 minutes of footage might be handy & shouldn't trouble the battery at all.

Is yours on all the time or does it switch off after a couple of hours?
    Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the dash cam actually does stay on all the time, you might find that any record of a mishap gets wiped during parking. I think mine only records for 4 hours, and then starts again.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    Why did you not get Halfords to fit?
    Because when I asked about it, the guy said ‘yeah, I’ll have a go’ which didn’t make me feel very confident in him. He also looked about 16yo. HPC are contracted by Halfords as well as other companies so I felt they would be more experienced.

Nextbase have told me that in some cars, the engineer has no choice but to wire it in a certain way so maybe that’s all he could do.
    Korkyb wrote: »
    Is yours on all the time or does it switch off after a couple of hours?

It normally has turned off a couple of hours later but sometimes it stays on permanently. I don’t know why and the randomness of that doesn’t seem right either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure