Rechargeable Battery solution for Homemade Blooth Speaker

Options
Hi, I'm after suggestions for how I can add a rechargeable battery to a Bluetooth speaker I'm planning.

Ideally, the batteries will be recharged using a usb charger and be able to be used while charging. I'm looking to install the device in to an old radio case. The power input of the audio board is between 8 & 25v and I'd be looking for it to have a decent run time when it wasn't connected to a power source.

Hope this all makes sense. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy.

Comments

• arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How many amps?
  • andybirch
    Options
    Not sure, if I'm honest. Will be running a bluetooth amplifier board (2 x 50w), 2 x 4 ohmn 40w speakers, so not a great deal I don't think.
  • Dime_Bar
    Options
    I have done something similar but for ease of use made sure everything would run from 5v and use a powerbank as the power supply.

Mine uses a raspberry pi rather than a Bluetooth board but the concept is the same.

What old radio are you using?
    The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    Arthur C. Clarke
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 September 2018 at 8:16AM
    Options
    Input power between 8 and 25, but where is the sweetspot? Will 8v cause it to struggle in anyway or cause issues because it wants more power?

Will driving it at 25V just cause it to produce lots of heat as it wastes the power?

I have a range of power supplies, one was used to drop the voltage from a small solar panel to a 3v charger, even a glimmer of sunshine had the thing toasting itself.
    Tested one to destruction and set it to 1.5v to charge some AA cells. 2 minutes of full sun and smoke escaped.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There is a range of standard Lithium Polymer batteries in cylindrical format, and various modules for working with them, such as the one below:

Ali Express

You may be able to find similar on eBay, perhaps from UK Sellers.

These are the cells. The standard voltage is 3.7v, so if you want to get to 25v, you'll need several, or some kind of voltage converter.

GENUINE-LG-HG2-18650-3000-MAH20-30A-HIGH-DRAIN-IMR-RECHARGEABLE-Li-BATTERIES

Using this technology, you'll need to ensure that either the cell or the charging circuit has built in protection for over/under-charge.
  • Paul_DNAP
    Options
    I'd consider getting an off the shelf rechargeable Bluetooth speaker, then you'll have the blueteeth board, the battery and the charging circuitry all pre-assembled for you. Then al you have to do is work out how to locate it in the radio, how to hook up the audio links and how to move the buttons and charge port to a decent location.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    edited 25 September 2018 at 10:49AM
    Options
    andybirch wrote: »
    Not sure, if I'm honest. Will be running a bluetooth amplifier board (2 x 50w), 2 x 4 ohmn 40w speakers, so not a great deal I don't think.

honestly I would rather spend £50 on something like this anker bluetooth speaker as it probably would be cheaper, and perhaps up to the job? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Wireless-Bluetooth-Radiators-Subwoofers-Black/dp/B0109TWZ54/ref=sr_1_7/258-3838293-9989061?ie=UTF8&qid=1537864802&sr=8-7&keywords=anker+bluetooth+speaker

between 8 & 25v. You do realise that that 50w quoted is at full 25v power which calculates to a 12.4ohm speaker, but it gives gives of room to play with voltage. Also if you double the voltage on the same resistance the power goes up four fold.

for 50w @ 4ohm generally speaking you will need a 14.142135623730951v power source (car battery).
    if the battery drops to 12v@4ohms you get 36w.

if you go mains, using a linear power module you will loose a shed load of power just to keep the voltage stable, and switched mode is the preferred way to go - if possible, and if it can deliver the peak amps.

The LG HG2 18650 3000mAh20/30A HIGH DRAIN IMR RECHARGEABLE Li BATTERIES, you are looking at 4 batteries, which when they are brand new fully charged, connected in series gives 14v@3Ah into 4ohms, and to redo ohms law is 49w power which needs 3.5A per channel

so if you are pumping 2x50w=100w. The four cells can supply 3Ah, and with 4 connected in series gives 14v, but lets being generous call it 12v, as that peek voltage will drop below this in an hour, so 12x3ah=36w, but you need 100w. You need three times as many batteries for one hour = 12 batteries per hour, and how may hours do you want to run this?

Not taken into account is the discharge curve and discharge voltage, nor losses of circuit, or battery or heat. How long will it take to re-charge all these batteries? You will probably not be running this at 100w all the time, or any time.

If you are using a 40w speaker as a 3w speaker, then that 40w speaker will waste more power compared to a 4w speaker, as 40w is more robust and needs much more energy to make it move
  • andybirch
    Options
    What old radio are you using?
    It's a PYE Cambridge P75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business