Problems with HP Printer

Options
Hi Guys

I have a HP Photosmart Series B109 printer and for the last few months I've been unable to print. I've bought HP ink cartridges but each time I insert a new one a message appears saying that a cartridge is missing or it's empty. Today, I searched online for HP support and came across the following site:

https://hp.supportnumber.uk/

Does anyone know if this is a genuine site? When I dialled the UK number I noticed that the ringtone changed to an overseas ringtone and then it was answered by a man. I explained why I was calling and he asked for some details about the printer, the serial number and product number. He then went on to say that he could see on his system that I'm calling from Colorado (I'm in the UK) and he asked me to confirm that my name was "Jane Smith" so I just said yes because I wanted to hear what other information he was going to ask for.

He then went on to say that he could help me and asked me to go to chrome: join.zoho.com so that he could remotely access my computer. At this point I made some excuse and hung up as I felt very uneasy about giving him access. I watch documentaries about the different ways that scammers steal information and money from innocent people so I'm always on my guard.

What are you thoughts on this? Was I being over-cautious?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have a HP printer with all details required to contact them, however I'm in bed now, will come back to you tomorrow.
  • IvyJay
    IvyJay Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ok. Thanks for replying.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 March 2018 at 11:31PM
    Options
    The proper hp support website I found from google just by searching hp support, its the first link.

The website you link too as far as I can tell isnt the real site.

You did the right thing in hanging up.
  • IvyJay
    Options
    Thanks.

I was being impatient because I did find the HP customer service number but was on hold for nearly 10 minutes so then I searched for another number and found the fake one. They answered immediately but it didn't sound genuine hence I hung up. I'm no techie but I couldn't see how giving him access to my computer was going to help solve my printer problem.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • IvyJay
    Options
    Thank you for the link.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 March 2018 at 9:21AM
    Options
    It has to be said, that if I had know what I know now, I may not have bought HP. In my experience, they seem to direct users of their product to their forum to seek advice.

Secondly, on purchase, you are given two options for ink. Either purchase as and when required from whoever sells HP ink, or use their offer of paying a set amount to them each month, and they will supply ink as and when needed. I elected the cheapest option of £1.99 per month which allows approx 50 A4 sheets a month. That was in November 2016. Since then, they have taken their monthly £1.99 and as yet, apart from the initial supply of ink, nothing. They say that is because their cartridges contain above average. If I had taken any of the other options which gave more printed sheets per month at a higher monthly rate, I would be fuming. Once this original set of ink cartridges use up, I may well stop my contract and dump the printer.

In hindsight, I do not like the idea of them taking money month after month.

Being somewhat elusive is also not to my personal liking. If my links will help, then good. Ideally it would be great if you keep us informed of progress.

These are a few links you should follow:-

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/contact-hp or

Helpline is open:-
    Mon to Fri, 8.30 -18.00
    UK !!!8211; 027 660 0596
    Eire !!!8211; 01 533 9808
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    IvyJay wrote: »

What are you thoughts on this?

Your instincts were correct - you dodged a bullet ..

Iv just had them tell me very confidently that they can help me defrag my SSD :D
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    HP Print and Scan Doctor ... have you tried downloading and running that?

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/topic/printscandoctor
  • IvyJay
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your replies.

Doam, I haven't but I'll check it out. Island, I definitely don't like the idea of making monthly payments. Maybe it's time for me to research other printers and dump HP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure