BMW320 - Petrol or Diesel?

Options
MEM62
MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I'm giving up my company car in the next couple of months as the tax on it is onerous. I like the look of the 320 but can't decide whether I want a petrol or diesel version. (My budget is £10K and I am looking for the 'Business' spec as this seems to have all the toys including SatNav) I am clocking up around 20,000 per year which would suggest diesel but is petrol worth considering?

Also, any other words of wisdom from 320 owners would be appreciated.

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MEM62 wrote: »
    I'm giving up my company car in the next couple of months as the tax on it is onerous. I like the look of the 320 but can't decide whether I want a petrol or diesel version. (My budget is £10K and I am looking for the 'Business' spec as this seems to have all the toys including SatNav) I am clocking up around 20,000 per year which would suggest diesel but is petrol worth considering?

Also, any other words of wisdom from 320 owners would be appreciated.

The mileage would point to diesel but be very very careful when buying. These engines are prone to timing chain / tensioner problems usually brought on by minimal servicing and not checking the oil level. Google the problem and learn how to listen for the early signs of timing chain rattle.

They also like the occasional turbo so google this and understand what the signs are and listen out for them.

Service interval is around 18,000 miles which is way too long for these engines, so dont assume a car with a FSH is going to be issue free.

Look for a car with a FULL service history as a minimum and one thats got every sign of being cared for, such as extra servicing, evidence of repairs, etc etc.

If you do get one, service it every 9,000 miles, and check the oil level weekly - i kid you not. These cars use oil and low oil on the dipstick means some components may not be getting lubricated.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    Options
    I would buy the diesel - in fact I did a few years ago, spent £300 on a remap and drove 30,000 happier miles for doing so.
  • motorguy
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    I would buy the diesel - in fact I did a few years ago, spent £300 on a remap and drove 30,000 happier miles for doing so.

+1

These engines respond very well to a remap or even a good tuning box. Makes a big difference to them.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    Options
    You are probably better off getting a year or 2 older 330 than a slightly newer 320d. You will thank yourself for it.
  • shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 15 January 2019 at 5:24PM
    Options
    I had a 2013 320D Efficientdynamics Business spec, from new. In 4 years and 180,000 miles nothing, and I mean nothing, went wrong with it. It was serviced every 18k miles and the engine was as smooth and quiet as when new when it went back. Did about 48mpg driven properly. Good satnav and sound. A brilliant car IMO. I'd have kept it if the lease company would have done me a deal.
  • MEM62
    edited 15 January 2019 at 5:31PM
    Options
    Thanks for the relies chaps.
    motorguy wrote: »
    The mileage would point to diesel but be very very careful when buying. These engines are prone to timing chain / tensioner problems usually brought on by minimal servicing and not checking the oil level. Google the problem and learn how to listen for the early signs of timing chain rattle.

They also like the occasional turbo so google this and understand what the signs are and listen out for them.

Service interval is around 18,000 miles which is way too long for these engines, so dont assume a car with a FSH is going to be issue free.

Look for a car with a FULL service history as a minimum and one thats got every sign of being cared for, such as extra servicing, evidence of repairs, etc etc.

If you do get one, service it every 9,000 miles, and check the oil level weekly - i kid you not. These cars use oil and low oil on the dipstick means some components may not be getting lubricated.

Thanks Motorguy. Does this impact both diesel and petrol engines? It would be useful to know what engines and years are impacted by this issue.

Some Googling required I think.
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    You are probably better off getting a year or 2 older 330 than a slightly newer 320d. You will thank yourself for it.

Yep, worth a look I think. They don't seem to be too bad from a fuel consumption viewpoint but I may get hit hard with insurance. (No NCB as I have been a company car driver for 20 years)
  • Steve_KK
    Steve_KK Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Will you be expected to drive into central London? The ULEZ charge could make a difference to your running costs, as diesels need to be a lot newer than petrol cars to avoid this tax.

Regards,
    Steve
  • motorguy
    Options
    MEM62 wrote: »
    Thanks Motorguy. Does this impact both diesel and petrol engines? It would be useful to know what engines and years are impacted by this issue.

I think it affects the 320i but not to the same extent - the same servicing regime applies.

I've the 2.0i turbo engine in my Cooper S and i'm opting to service it every 9K miles.
  • MEM62
    Options
    Steve_KK wrote: »
    Will you be expected to drive into central London? The ULEZ charge could make a difference to your running costs, as diesels need to be a lot newer than petrol cars to avoid this tax.

Regards,
    Steve

Now there is a debate.

My employer does not offer an allowance instead of a car but I do currently do business mileage. When I explained the tax issue and asked if they would consider an allowance instead the response was “That’s your problem, you tax issues are not our concern.” That would be less of an issue for me if the standard of vehicle was maintained. However, over the years I have gone from a good spec Volvo to a basic SEAT and paying circa £400 in tax for the privilege of having it.

I have advised that I will not be taking another company car when the lease runs out on my current one in April. “What will you do about your business use?” they said. My position is that if they pay me a car allowance my vehicle will be insured and available for company use. If they don’t, it won’t.

If it is used on business ULEZ costs will come under expenses.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Options
    My friend has an E46 320D which he bought two years ago. No trouble other than both window mechanisms needed replacement. I think this is a common problem, but we got a Chinese one the 2nd time from Amazon for £22.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure