tip-deck mobile text scam

Options

Comments

• Dave_too
    Dave_too Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    They have now contacted me and offered to refund by bank transfer, great.
    Let's hope it happens. I've given them my account number for the transfer, not what I would like to do, if they refund what they took I will post here to say they have.
  • TherealMandM
    Options
    I had a payforit scam few years back, all they need is your phone number and they can charge you.
    When complaining to my provider (three) they put me on a 3 way call with the scam company.
    Apparently I had ticked a box and answered a question of "how many legs does a spider have?"
    The company was foreign and when I tried to argue they did the finger in ears neh neh sounds before hanging up...
    completely made up but no way to prove it, Three told me it happens all the time and would not refund.
    was only £4.50 but looking online some people had been stung for much more.
    I have blocked all premium texts calls ever since.
  • Dave_too
    Options
    Thanks Matt, Can you tell me how you blocked all premium text calls? I'd like to do that too.
  • boothby55
    Options
    I tried my mobile provider who were no real help so I have posted the details on the PSA website
    I also found this a website for tipdeck which I don't recognise

They have taken £8.50 from me for 2 texts. I will post here if anything transpires
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Dave_too wrote: »
    Thanks Matt, Can you tell me how you blocked all premium text calls? I'd like to do that too.
    Ask your network to block them. We've done this with all our phones (Vodafone), although it was a struggle, the first line CS denied it's possible several times, but I knew it was, and everntually got it done via their online forum. I think it blocks outgoing premium rate too so you might not be able to vote on TV shows etc but do you really want to?
  • alumende27
    Options
    Dave_too wrote: »
    I'm always scrupulously sure to never click on any pop-ups, special deals, I even avoid those clickbait articles at the bottom of some pages, like "doctors don't want you to know this amazing trick", or "housewife in <your suburb here> earns £3000 a day with this fantastic scheme!!!"

IT security is my job.

If that’s the case I’m surprised you don’t block pop-ups and have a suitable ad filter to block those clickbait articles.
  • Dave_too
    Options
    If that’s the case I’m surprised you don’t block pop-ups

This comment is not helpful.

I can see from your stats that you have thousands of posts and presumably help people here, but when I'm telling you how I have been ripped off by a bunch of scammers, you telling me you are surprised at my lack of precautions does not help.

I never see pop-ups because yes, I have blocked pop-ups, which is why I don't click on them.

My point is that I do... not...click on any of the many rubbish click-bait links you can find on the internet.
    Never subscribed to gambling, adult services, or anything at all remotely like that. Nevertheless these crooks claim I signed up for their "service". They could not tell me when or where or how I "signed up".

They don't have logs on their servers apparently. They just magically gather subscribers through some process they are unaware of. As if.

Which makes me think even more that they illegally harvested my mobile number from somewhere so they could sign me up to their scheme.
    i think it works by them not taking much money (only £9) so most people just write if off and block them.
  • Dave_too
    Options
    Ask your network to block them. We've done this with all our phones (Vodafone), although it was a struggle, the first line CS denied it's possible several times, but I knew it was, and everntually got it done via their online forum. I think it blocks outgoing premium rate too so you might not be able to vote on TV shows etc but do you really want to?

Good idea. This is GiffGaff. I will do that.
    in the meantime two more people have added to my original thread, both of them never signed up to these people, have never heard of them, yet had money taken from their phone balance.
  • Dave_too
    Options
    FINALLY I actually received a refund from them. Much to my amazement.
    They said to allow two weeks for a bank transfer, you know the kind of transfer that takes minutes and shows up the next day or right away.

But they did refund it. Eventually. To sum up:
    1. They took £4.50 from my mobile phone credit
    2. They took another £4.50 from my mobile phone credit
    3. When I tracked them down (difficult, but details are in this thread) they agreed to refund it. They could not tell me how I was subscribed. Literally they said they had no information. They did say "maybe it was from an online survey or a game?", but could not tell me which survey or which game, or when, also had no answer to me not playing online games and not doing surveys.
    4. About two weeks later, they actually did refund it by bank transfer into my bank account.
  • Chewiechew
    Options
    Hi,
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience with this company.
    I too have been hit by their texts and after reading this thread, I realised I had been charged £9 in total.
    I have emailed them with little hope for a reply, but they did actually respond in less than 24H.

“as a gesture of goodwill, we are happy to offer you a refund of £9.00

Please can you send us the following details to arrange your refund.

Bank Account Holder Name:
    Bank Account Number:
    Sort Code:”

I am so scared to give those details away!
    Have you not had any problems since you got your refund?

Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport