Policy number and date of loan - I've no idea

Options
Hi, I realise this is going to sound bizarre, but I wasn't in a good way for a number of years.

With time running out to claim for PPI, I thought I might as well give it a try. I filled in the basic claim form on Bank of Scotland website, and they've written to me with a standard reply, and the five loan numbers added. There's a questionnaire attached for me to fill in.

The opening question is asking me to fill in the policy number and dates of the loans. The thing is, I can't remember any dates of loans, not even rough guesses. As I say, I was in a bit of a bad way (my lifestyle) and I took at many loans and cards on the way.

As for the policy number? Would that be the loan numbers on the front? If so, there's only a box for one number and they've supplied me with five on the covering letter.

There are also questions asking who I spoke to when I took out the loan. Again, I can't recall. I took a loan out in the branch, I took a loan out online, I think I may have even taken a loan out with them over the phone.

I don't have any of the paperwork for this as my life was a bit of a mess. I take it I don't have a leg to stand on regarding a valid claim?

First time I've done anything like this so if anyone could offer any advice, it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Give them a call.

At the end of the day, you only answer what you know.

Give your genuine reasons for mis sale and don't make anything up.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the OP has very little memory of loans, dates, numbers etc i can't see how they will remember reasons for any miss sales.

OP just fill in what you actually remember, if you cant remember, say so. They will still look at the accounts and you may just get lucky.

My daughter had a string of Dont Knows on her claim but still received a cheque for over £800
    Good luck
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The opening question is asking me to fill in the policy number and dates of the loans. The thing is, I can't remember any dates of loans, not even rough guesses. As I say, I was in a bit of a bad way (my lifestyle) and I took at many loans and cards on the way.

If you dont know then you dont need to put them in. Remember they have already told you that they have found them. So, its not an issue.
    There are also questions asking who I spoke to when I took out the loan. Again, I can't recall. I took a loan out in the branch, I took a loan out online, I think I may have even taken a loan out with them over the phone.

Remember that there is nothing wrong with having PPI. The complaint is about how it was sold to you. Having bought them online, by phone or in branch, the reasons for your complaint are going to be different. e.g. you cant make allegations about what was or wasnt said on an online application.
    I take it I don't have a leg to stand on regarding a valid claim?

Depends on your reasons for complaint. You havent said so we cant comment on them. However, as far as the form goes, if you cant remember then you say so.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • misterfusty
    Options
    I've just got one of these enormous questionnaires from Halifax. I don't even know if I've had PPI, although I'm assuming as they've sent me this I might have? I filled out a PPI check email form for Halifax (and others) at Resolver way back in August last year. After not hearing anything for a while I got a phone call in October where they asked for more information, I could only give them so much as I can't remember what products I had, apart from the credit card account I still have.
    I didn't hear from them again for a while until I phoned to complain a few weeks ago that I'd heard nothing and now I have this questionnaire. Most of this I won't be able to fill in, after all I can't remember having PPI - hence the check, the fact they have still not told me whether I did or not is frustrating and it seems to a way of getting out of coughing up. Is is still worth filling in this questionnaire?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you believe you had PPI and were mis sold, certainly.

If you think you didn't and are just chancing it, no.

If you're genuinely not sure, then maybe.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    the fact they have still not told me whether I did or not is frustrating and it seems to a way of getting out of coughing up. Is is still worth filling in this questionnaire?

There is nothing wrong with having PPI. The whole issue is about making a complaint about how it was sold to you and what they did wrong. That is why they need the questionnaire completed.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • misterfusty
    Options
    I've just got one of these enormous questionnaires from Halifax. I don't even know if I've had PPI, although I'm assuming as they've sent me this I might have? I filled out a PPI check email form for Halifax (and others) at Resolver way back in August last year. After not hearing anything for a while I got a phone call in October where they asked for more information, I could only give them so much as I can't remember what products I had, apart from the credit card account I still have.
    I didn't hear from them again for a while until I phoned to complain a few weeks ago that I'd heard nothing and now I have this questionnaire. Most of this I won't be able to fill in, after all I can't remember having PPI - hence the check, the fact they have still not told me whether I did or not is frustrating and it seems to a way of getting out of coughing up. Is is still worth filling in this questionnaire?

I nearly didn't fill this in because I didn't have hardly any info but I'm glad I did as I just received a cheque today for £1388!:j

It just goes to show, I thought I'd never had PPI at all, it's always worth checking!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure