Is a reversing driver always at fault

Options
2»

Comments

• FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    He is wrong. The insurer can obtain a copy of the cctv footage, as can you.

If the cctv clearly shows he is at fault - then don't accept 50/50 from him!

On AskMID you type in the vehicle reg and it tells you who the insurer is. Your daughter will have to report the accident to her own insurers anyway, so she might as well report it to his insurers and get her car repaired directly through them.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't think this is her fault. Do not pay him anything. I would advise you go through her insurance, her premiums are going to go up anyway when she declares at renewal that she had been involved in an incident.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Polmop wrote: »
    I really don't know what to do

Stop discussing it with the driver or his father. Contact your daughters insurer and provide the cctv to them.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Polmop wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, I have checked it on askmid and a different car comes up.
    We have now managed to get a copy of the cctv which shows he was at fault, the father came round this morning to look at the car and has now said he will split it 50/50 after I said we would take it to the garage ourselves.
    I told him I had seen the cctv and he has replied with we wouldn't be able to get a copy because it was on private land and the insurance also couldn't get a copy, only the police and that would only be if they were prosecuting.
    He has just said he will accept £50 towards the repairs and we can take to the garage.
    Her insurance would go up more than this even if she was found to be non fault.
    I really don't know what to do

Don't mess around

Report to insurance. Make it 100% clear that you have CCTV evidence that supports your claim and make sure they are aware you are claiming off his insurance. Maybe worth asking them to repair and claiming back from him.

Do not speak to the father again and do not let him touch the car. Refer him to your insurers or the police.

Make sure your copy of the footage is stored on 3 places (PC, CD, usb stick) for good data management purposes
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Polmop, you say you have a copy of the CCTV, so why report to us the father has said you won't be able to get it? You already have it?!

If Askmid suggests it's not the right car, there's a good chance the other driver isn't insured. This would tally with the father making such a fuss.

Report the incident to your daughter's insurance. You must do this, it is a condition of the policy. They are much better placed to repair the vehicle and reclaim the money from his insurer (if it exists) and will know exactly what to do if he is uninsured.
  • Polmop
    Polmop Posts: 662 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks, we are not supposed to have a copy which is why I didn't tell him we did.
    We got it last night
    Will do Thanks for all your help everyone, I will call the insurance now
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Zorillo wrote: »
    Polmop, you say you have a copy of the CCTV, so why report to us the father has said you won't be able to get it? You already have it?!

I think the father is trying to put the OP off the insurance claim by suggesting they won't be able to prove it, he doesn't know they have it
  • ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    OP - get her to report it to her insurance asap.

Forget about how much her insurance will go up - it'll go up even more if they discover it later.

You say that AskMID comes up with a different car - are you saying that it's false number plates on the car then?

If so then I would also be reporting it to the police.
  • ConMan
    ConMan Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    Option 1)

Give your car to him and let him 'fix' it. - Not something I'd be doing.

Option 2)

Accept the £50 contribution. - How much are the repairs? How much are you going to be out of pocket by?

Option 3)

Contact your insurer, show them the CCTV. Forget this stuff about not meant to be having CCTV. I used to work in a Claims Department and never heard anything like this. Infact it CCTV provided the office with a lot of entertainment.
    You'll find me sat in the corner with a pack of dry roasted and a Guinness.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure