Being offered plevin as full and final without looking into misselling

Options
First time poster, sorry if this has been asked before.

We recently have submitted a claim on PPI on our car finance with VW financial services. They don't seem to have assessed whether we were missold or not, they have instead offered us the commission over 50% back to us 31% as the commission was 81%. They have said we have 14 days to decide if we are happy with it and this is their final response and if we are unhappy we can complain to the Ombudsman.

My immediate thought is that we try and get the whole amount (as we do believe we were misold), but it implies that we might miss out on getting the 31% back. Re-reading it now I'm unsure either way!

So my question is, if we try and refer to the ombudsman, can we still try and get the 31% back if the 100% refund is unsuccessful? I believe that taking the 31% now would be accepting their decision. But again I'm not completely sure!

Anyone had a similar experience?

Thank you!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You won't miss out on the Plevin award if your complaint is unsuccessful.

But I would check with them first as to why they have rejected your mis selling complaint.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They don't seem to have assessed whether we were missold or not, they have instead offered us the commission over 50% back to us 31% as the commission was 81%. They have said we have 14 days to decide if we are happy with it and this is their final response and if we are unhappy we can complain to the Ombudsman.

Plevin only applies to rejected complaints. So, that means they have rejected you. Or it could be that they are only liable for the plevin outcome with the dealer liable for the PPI sale.

Did you complain to the finance company directly or to the car dealer?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • kafoa
    kafoa Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.

We applied to VW first, but then they sent us a letter letting us know they were forwarding it onto the dealer but this has come from VW.

That's a good point about plevin, so this would imply they've rejected it. Although they've not said so as such. I think you're right, contacting them is probably best.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure