Android apps running in background (and on boot)

Options

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    I can go months without rebooting so I wouldn't actually notice apps being loaded on boot, because it last happened months ago. If you are noticing that you are rebooting more often. You shouldn't need to reboot very often so I was wondering what issues were causing you to require rebooting.

Oh -- I turn my phone off every night when I don't want to be woken up. Or if I'm busy and would prefer to conserve battery life.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    Oh -- I turn my phone off every night when I don't want to be woken up. Or if I'm busy and would prefer to conserve battery life.
    Same here ...
  • toshi
    toshi Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have used below.

Boot manager (xposed module)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/app-bootmanager-t2432359

You will need to install Xposed framework first.

Extra (radical!) option:
    MicroG : lightweight Open-source alternative to Google Play services : https://microg.org/

This is not so straightforward, but for Lineage user, install MicroG instead of Gapps. Run faster, better privacy, longer battery life.:)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/microg-unofficial-installer-t3432360

The easiest way to configure this may be
    1) Xposed framework
    2) FakeGApps
    3) microg unofficial installer

Enjoy Happy Hacking :)
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What's wrong with just muting the phone if you don't want to be disturbed?
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    What's wrong with just muting the phone if you don't want to be disturbed?
    Simpler to just switch it off IMHO
    And a reboot never did any harm ... did it?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    Simpler to just switch it off IMHO
    And a reboot never did any harm ... did it?
    Rebooting doesn't do any harm but it is a lot lot quicker to mute and un-mute.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    toshi wrote: »
    I have used below.

Boot manager (xposed module)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/app-bootmanager-t2432359

You will need to install Xposed framework first.

Thanks. Actually it looks like the Privacy Manager in LineageOS does what I want -- there are options to disable "start on boot" and "run in background".
    toshi wrote: »
    Extra (radical!) option:
    MicroG : lightweight Open-source alternative to Google Play services : https://microg.org/

This is not so straightforward, but for Lineage user, install MicroG instead of Gapps. Run faster, better privacy, longer battery life.:)

It looks interesting, although I'm currently using GApps Pico (which just includes Google Play, and some basic framework services), so... would there really be much difference...?

There's also a warning that MicroG is alpha-grade software and that there are quite a few bugs remaining. :-/

Have you used it yourself?
  • toshi
    toshi Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 February 2018 at 7:16PM
    Options
    It looks interesting, although I'm currently using GApps Pico (which just includes Google Play, and some basic framework services), so... would there really be much difference...?

Yes, it is interesting for you :cool: but If you are happy with Gapp, then you don’t need to use it (as an Extra)

(Edit)
    [STRIKE]Essentially microG is for people who do need (want) to integrate their Smartphone with Google Account services.[/STRIKE]
    Essentially microG is for people who do not need (want) to integrate their Smartphone with Google Account services.
    (Edit ends)

I personally don’t need Google account, Google searchbar, voice assistance etc, but I love still some of Google Apps such as Google Map. Then microG is the solution.

Yes, microG memory usage is much smaller than Google Play services, this would be an advantage for older devices as well. (I have got a Galaxy S from my friend. I would like to play with it )
    There's also a warning that MicroG is alpha-grade software and that there are quite a few bugs remaining. :-/

Have you used it yourself?

Yes, I have been using microG environment more than 1 year, I actually recently updated from the original microG old version to the latest “unstable version” via the above unofficial installer. The latest “unstable version” is better compatibility and more stable than the old version.

This is the Free and Open-source replacement of propriety Google services, therefore it will remain as "unstable", I suppose.

P.S. I also turned off my Smartphone night (with various reasons!) and the alarm setting wakes my smartphone and myself up in the morning :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm69ik_Qdb8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4XKNeOtzl4
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As I see it, there is no reason whatsoever for a random, user-installed, non-system app to run on every boot and load itself into RAM. It's a waste of resources; a crazy idea.

It depends on the developers intentions and obviously the purpose of the app ..

For example, if some functionallity of the app needs to be started by an event - or trigger - then the monitor for that event or trigger has to be loaded and running or it will never happen.

Obviously, for apps that you only need to interact with when they are running, and dont rely on information that can happen when they are not running - then there is no reason for them to have autostart ..

But something like whattsapp, for example, needs to sit there and "listen" for incoming messages - so it will start on boot and run a service that polls a certain url every second or so ...
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    Options
    Rebooting killed my PC once.

It used to be on 24/7. Powered off and it never came back on..
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure