Android apps running in background (and on boot)

Options
esuhl
esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Various apps that I rarely use seem to start on boot and run in the background.

I know Android is quite efficient at allocating memory and that background apps use few system resources, but...

If I only use the app once a month, then every single time I boot my phone, all these apps have to load even though I won't use them. It seems very inefficient, and must drain the battery significantly during boot.

Is there some way I can stop these kinds of apps from starting at boot and loading themselves into memory at all until I manually run them? My phone is rooted if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any tips! :)

Comments

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    In the new phones you can sleep apps and have more control etc. via the battery section in settings.
    In older ones you may need to put it into developer mode and stop the apps from within there.
    I've never done this by the way and on my S8+ I don't need to, so I'd Google developer mode a bit before starting.
    Here is one to start you off...
    How to stop apps running in Android
    All that said, you will be doing this for ever more as they will all probably restart on their own quite quickly.
    My phone indicates that they use very little power on startup, so choice is yours....
    Good luck.:)
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It'll make very little difference to your battery, certainly nothing close to (for instance) keep restarting your phone.
  • tronator
    tronator Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you run LineageOS, you can do this in the Privacy Guard.
  • esuhl
    Options
    tronator wrote: »
    If you run LineageOS, you can do this in the Privacy Guard.

Ah -- I am running LineageOS.

Thanks. I'll have a play with those settings. :)
  • glennevis
    Options
    I've a rooted phone and use Titanium Backup Pro to freeze annoying apps. This effectively kills then uninstalls an app with a couple of clicks. Apps can be defrosted when needed but unlike an uninstall/reinstall, all the app settings are preserved. Works on system apps too.

TBPro is a very powerful tool.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    Options
    OP, Why are you rebooting your phone so much?
  • esuhl
    Options
    glennevis wrote: »
    I've a rooted phone and use Titanium Backup Pro to freeze annoying apps. This effectively kills then uninstalls an app with a couple of clicks. Apps can be defrosted when needed but unlike an uninstall/reinstall, all the app settings are preserved. Works on system apps too.

TBPro is a very powerful tool.

Cheers -- I'll have a look.
    wongataa wrote: »
    OP, Why are you rebooting your phone so much?

Am I? How much is too much?

As I see it, there is no reason whatsoever for a random, user-installed, non-system app to run on every boot and load itself into RAM. It's a waste of resources; a crazy idea.

Why not have apps load themselves into memory on first use?
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »

As I see it, there is no reason whatsoever for a random, user-installed, non-system app to run on every boot and load itself into RAM. It's a waste of resources; a crazy idea.

I reboot my phone every month or so, so apps starting up isn't exactly using much power!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    indesisiv wrote: »
    I reboot my phone every month or so, so apps starting up isn't exactly using much power!

To be fair, he's using an old phone that, presumably, doesn't manage power all that well.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »

I can go months without rebooting so I wouldn't actually notice apps being loaded on boot, because it last happened months ago. If you are noticing that you are rebooting more often. You shouldn't need to reboot very often so I was wondering what issues were causing you to require rebooting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure