Bathroom Light Cord Switch end fell out (looks charred?)

Options
Hi,

My Nan found the bathroom light string cord on the floor, looks to me like the end that connected into the ceiling socket is burnt.

Apparently the bulb in the bathroom used to be some kind of heat lamp and has been recently changed to a regular bulb (well old style bulb i think, not a new energy saving style bulb)

Does anyone know what could have caused this? Is the changing of the bulb related? Is this an electrics problem so we'll need an electrician? Or is it more for a handyman of some kind?

Thanks for reading and any thoughts you might be able to pass on!
Adrian.

Comments

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AidyBuzz wrote: »
    Hi,

My Nan found the bathroom light string cord on the floor, looks to me like the end that connected into the ceiling socket is burnt.

Apparently the bulb in the bathroom used to be some kind of heat lamp and has been recently changed to a regular bulb (well old style bulb i think, not a new energy saving style bulb)

Does anyone know what could have caused this? Is the changing of the bulb related? Is this an electrics problem so we'll need an electrician? Or is it more for a handyman of some kind?

Thanks for reading and any thoughts you might be able to pass on!
    Adrian.

Does the cord join the the cord that comes out of the ceiling switch with a plastic coupling or does the cord go into the ceiling switch? Quite often the cord is burnt with a match then nipped with the fingers to give it a hard narrow end to thread through the hole in the switch/coupling.
    If the cord goes into the ceiling switch,switch the electric off and unscrew the ceiling swith cover to expose the switch,you can then examine it for damage/burning or maybe the cord has just come out and requires re-fitting.:)
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • AidyBuzz
    Options
    The cord goes into a plastic coupling so perhaps that's it! I guess the fact that the bulb being used changed from a heat bulb to regular bulb is no cause for concern? Probably isn't related to the cord falling out i mean?

Thanks! :) Adrian.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    Have a look here for an example.
    https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p44781?table=no
    You can see a small plastic thing about 6 inches from the ceiling rose.
    This is where you can replace the long pull cord.
    If the cord is broken / burnt where it come out of the ceiling rose then you are up for a new ceiling rose.
    HTH
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AidyBuzz wrote: »
    The cord goes into a plastic coupling so perhaps that's it! I guess the fact that the bulb being used changed from a heat bulb to regular bulb is no cause for concern? Probably isn't related to the cord falling out i mean?

Thanks! :) Adrian.

Changing to a regular bulb from a heat type bulb should be certainly better for your electric bill:rotfl:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    It might be worth having a good look at both the light fitting and the pull switch (or if you're not confident doing this, getting someone in to check them out).

Many light fittings are designed to be used with incandescent bulbs up to either 60w or 100w and the heat lamp could well have been 200w or 250w, something that could have damaged the fitting.
    If the pull switch was poor quality or the wiring a bit loose, it could have been getting hot or sparking, hence the cord getting charred and dropping out.
  • AidyBuzz
    Options
    Thanks! All this is enough to convince me that starting with an electrician to come and check it out is the way to go! :)
  • Will2208
    Will2208 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    My bathroom pullcord recently stopped working. I pulled down it but then it didn't pull pack up. I tried fixing it but it was a waste of time so i got a complete new pull cord and ceiling switch from Wilko's for a couple of quid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure