PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    It could have been much worse..... sometimes you just have to go with the flow;)

I certainly did....;)
    On the plus side you have eaten, and that's the main thing :)
    Hopefully you will get some sleep tonight.

Thanks Holly.

Just finishing off today's scoffathon with the last white chocolate Magnum (I was given a box would never buy them) and a glass of milk....Good job I've got my big baggy pj's on :o
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karcher wrote: »

What a greedy moo eh :o and mostly unhealthy stuff. I am now stuffed and my stomach is blown up like a big balloon :(...serves me right! :o

Twas just one of them eat everything till stuffed days :o

They're the best :)
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a food plan for today :) I bet it doesn't work out though!

Breakfast: I have just had some Greek yoghurt and mixed berries. I am going out later so will have a banana shortly to keep me going.

Lunch: I am meeting my sister in law to choose a 21st birthday present for my niece. I don't know whether she will treat me to lunch (which means she will make a big thing of paying but my brother will have told her to pay for mine, and given her the money, but she won't tell me that bit). If we don't have lunch I will need something so will take a sandwich with me to eat on the train on the way home because I want to do a few things in town when I back.

Dinner: Sausages with either salad and new potatoes or veg, depending on the weather.

I need to use up the last couple of crumpets in the freezer so will have them as snacks today. I will probably pick up another packet of them when I am out because they are useful to have in the freezer.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2017 at 7:49AM
    Options
    No sort of food plan for today - or the next couple of days. It's "workmen in" time again....

I resonated with the comment earlier about not feeling able to do anything very much whilst they are around. I always mean to and have intentions of doing things like catching up on paperwork/weeding the garden/etc - as I'm stuck here anyway whilst they're here.

It never happens somehow - by the time I feel the need to keep a close eye on them - because of the number of errors they tend to make. You just know you've had bad experiences with workmen when you think of the number of times summat or other has had to be redone:(. Not forgetting I've got a bit of re-decorating to be re-done later this year in the house (though I had it all redecorated throughout when I bought it....:cool:). That will be to try and put right stuff a previous workman did - and not because I fancy a change of colour - and the worst thing is it will be at my expense again (as it's going to be exactly the same colour again):mad:.

So - all I know is "It will be food (of some type or another)" over the next couple of days....:cool:
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    No breakfast. Time flew so fast, I was up at 5am, but time's flown!

Lunch has been two lollies... made with lemon squash/water.

I have to pop out to the shops ... so might find "random food I never expected to see/buy" or I might not. Who knows... life's an adventure isn't it! :)
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ... life's an adventure isn't it! :)

...and not always a good one!

My cupboards are quite bare, I had planned to shop today but seeing as I am having a 'duvet day' that ain't happening now.

So a question, I do have some uncooked chicken breasts in the freezer, thought I might do something with one with some pasta (as I do have that) and frozen veg...but how long do I need to defrost the chicken? Is it too late for tonight bearing in mind I don't eat till about 8pm usually. Or can I defrost it in the nuker..you may have gathered I'm not au fait with cooking chicken.

TIA :)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    ...and not always a good one!

My cupboards are quite bare, I had planned to shop today but seeing as I am having a 'duvet day' that ain't happening now.

So a question, I do have some uncooked chicken breasts in the freezer, thought I might do something with one with some pasta (as I do have that) and frozen veg...but how long do I need to defrost the chicken? Is it too late for tonight bearing in mind I don't eat till about 8pm usually. Or can I defrost it in the nuker..you may have gathered I'm not au fait with cooking chicken.

TIA :)
    If you take it now and pop it on a metal tray it will defrost in no time :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,
    I'm not having the best of days - horrible vertigo attack just as it was getting light which didn't settle so it was the heavy duty meds. These do help but make me sleepy and hungry...
    Apart from having a shower and popping rubbish out I've been mainly horizontal. Noticed en route to the bin that something has scoffed most of my marigolds and verbena.....:mad:
    Lunch was some of the soup I made yesterday with a poached duck in it and dinner will be something from the freezer that can be nuked or popped on a tray:).
    I'm off for another snooze.......:cool:
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    [QUOTE=PasturesNew;72691393
    I have to pop out to the shops ... so might find "random food I never expected to see/buy" or I might not. Who knows... life's an adventure isn't it! :)[/QUOTE]

That is my type of shopping, the YS beckoning at me. Today's mystery shop in Lidl yielded Hunters' chicken at £2.09 down from 2.99, use by today

I did try it a few weeks back and decided it was OK at the reduced price, and certainly saves me thinking what to have, and of course this is something I would never ever make

Mug cake, I have tried them, HM not bought in, OK for experiment but not one I would bother making again, easier and just as satisfying to have a bowl of cereal or a jam sandwich, or bar of chocolate except I never have that in for that very reason :o

Nil breakfast

Standard cheese / salad sarnie lunch, could have been some LO pizza but decided against it

Dinner tonight is the Hunters' chicken, I will cook both portions, not only due to the use by date but also the pour over cooking sauce is in one sachet and CBA to try and keep half back and muck about with one LO uncooked chicken portion

Not sure what will accompany the chicken, more than likely frozen chips in Actifry, and could try and get some salad in there as well, I have some jumbo radish ready to pull in the garden and need tugging out soon

Weather is warm and sunny and set for the rest of the week they say. Did a spot of gardening, pruned the gooseberry.

I watched Beechgrove Garden at the weekend and now is the time. I am scratched to bits now, stupid boy, bare arms & no gloves :( I have had my tetanus jabs though, I always make sure I am up to date with them since as a nipper I read about lockjaw and was convinced I had it, as you do after reading medical stuff.
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Bugg4h all in Sainsbobs... YS section's a huge joke. There was an item there £5 reduced down to £4.41. Yeah, right ...

Then into L1dl, thick/fluffy crumpets look thicker/fluffier than the previous ones that never looked any different, so bought those. Couldn't stand and inspect them as they're on the top shelf, so above eye height - and some staff member had chosen right there to place a large cube basket of other food... so pretty inaccessible.

Also grabbed a 36p loaf.

Shuffled round, nothing exciting, got 2 cans of fizzy pop - and then 1Kg of chips as I figured chips will go with everything that I need to use up that's in the freezer.

Food was therefore: veggie burger from freezer + chips + peas from freezer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure