Fraudulent transactions

Options

Comments

• faqinel
    Options
    Yes, it was transacted in sterling.
  • faqinel
    Options
    I've contemplated unique emails for individual retailers before and think I will now go down that route. Also time to replace and reset my other cards I think.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    faqinel wrote: »
    I would not be requesting as the 'victim' of a crime. Although at this moment in time, until such time as i am reimbursed, I most definately am as I am currently £300 down. My request will be under GDPR article 15 for data held pertinent to the two transactions made against my account via my card. If such personal data is held then can they refuse to release it?

Is this on a debit card rather than a credit card then ? That's a PITA. Do you use debit for most transactions or were you just unlucky ? I'd be concerned if my debit card number was misused as that's not really out"in the wild" so to speak I use it very rarely. I've only ever had fraud agains cc cards.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP you seem to be worrying too much about this really. You will be refunded, the retailer is the victim as they will lose the money. You seem to take your security seriously so just keep on doing what you do, you won't find out where your details were compromised so I wouldn't waste any more time on it, but that's just me.

I have no idea about your security for your cards, (it sounds a bit OTT to be honest) mine are in my purse, I use them online and at POS, I've never had a card compromised. They're more likely to be lost.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,450 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    I doubt that any bank would provide details of how a fraud was carried out. It would compromise their security.
    If you don't recognise a transaction, inform Santander and request a chargeback as I assume the transaction was made by visa debit card..

Bank will not know where & when the card was compromised. Even if they did they would never tell you.
    Nothing to do with banks security.
    OP has already stated that Santander are dealing as fraud. As such OP does not have to do anything further than speak to the fraud team. They will deal with the back office work.
    Odd that the fraud team does not work weekends. We do. Everyday of the year. So in effect OP should have already had a refund.
    Best part of job telling a customer "Refund is back in your account now":T
    Life in the slow lane
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,445 Forumite
    Options
    faqinel wrote: »
    My request will be under GDPR article 15 for data held pertinent to the two transactions made against my account via my card. If such personal data is held then can they refuse to release it?

GDPR 15 relates to personal information - that is information about you.

However, you have told the bank that you did not make those transactions (so presumably, another person made them). So you have no right to information about those transactions.

But if the bank insists that you made those transactions (and won't refund you), you would probably then have grounds for getting full information about them.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    Apart from (possibly) address numerics, and perhaps the cardholder name, I'm not sure what 'personal' information might be included in a card transaction. All the card details belong to the bank.

The retailer might indeed possess personal information about their customer but, as stated by @eddy, that information is presumably not personal to you, but to the person who made the transaction.

I might guess that the only real reason why you'd experience resistance to being refunded, might be if the bank can demonstrate that your security details were used AND the transaction originated at a device personal to you that you have used before for genuine transactions. I don't know how they'd do that, but it sounds unlikely, given the fact they have seemingly stopped another attempted transaction (of the same sort?).
  • deadendwaterfall
    Options
    I've had issues with fraud before and I had no issues drawing a line underneath the issue once the bank (very swiftly) reimbursed my losses. (In my case, somebody had set up a standing order to someone which took approximately £200 out of my account).
    :o
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,450 Forumite
    Options
    I might guess that the only real reason why you'd experience resistance to being refunded, might be if the bank can demonstrate that your security details were used AND the transaction originated at a device personal to you that you have used before for genuine transactions. I don't know how they'd do that, but it sounds unlikely, given the fact they have seemingly stopped another attempted transaction (of the same sort?).

If the transaction has been through VbV. We have access to a system that gives you the IP address, type of device & country. This also includes a unique device ID, which we were told is fixed to the device.
    Yet one of our team has proved that wrong as they used the same device 4 times, except using different connections on the same day.
    Each came back with a different unique ID. :eek:
    Checking Visa details on VbV hinted that ID is actually controlled by cookies. So can be fooled by these, or being deleted.
    We had tried to raise this issue with the team that trained us and also get it raised to Visa for a definitive answer.
    Nearly 12 months later we are still waiting an answer. They seem to not understand what we are saying.
    Which is quite simple. Is the device ID unique to a device, or can it change.:j
    Life in the slow lane
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 20 October 2019 at 6:36PM
    Options
    born_again wrote: »
    If the transaction has been through VbV. We have access to a system that gives you the IP address, type of device & country. This also includes a unique device ID, which we were told is fixed to the device.
    Yet one of our team has proved that wrong as they used the same device 4 times, except using different connections on the same day.
    Each came back with a different unique ID. :eek:
    Checking Visa details on VbV hinted that ID is actually controlled by cookies. So can be fooled by these, or being deleted.
    We had tried to raise this issue with the team that trained us and also get it raised to Visa for a definitive answer.
    Nearly 12 months later we are still waiting an answer. They seem to not understand what we are saying.
    Which is quite simple. Is the device ID unique to a device, or can it change.:j

What you have said above is very interesting and informative.
    However, I think yu have missed the point.
    If it has changed then nothing can be proven either way. In order for Santander to use this as evidence that the OP had made the transactions, the situation would have to be that it had NOT changed.

However, as the transaction was made using a debit card on a gambling website, how would Santander actually know this information anyway?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure