Can I be forced to purchase faulty car?

Options
Candie
Candie Posts: 24 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
I saw a second hand car I liked and put down a deposit. I was due to collect it today and the garage have said there is a fault on it and they have sent it to another garage to be fixed. They will update me when this has been done but it's made me rethink whether I want the car. I have signed a sales sheet but not, as it turns out in the correct place and I have paid a deposit.
Can I change my mind as I have lost faith in the car and the company?

Comments

• Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What car? What mileage? What fault?
    Cars do develop faults, and said faults get repaired.
    Better to have it repaired now than have to take it back I'd have thought.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    They have identified a fault and are having it fixed before you collect the car. That sounds like a garage that does the right thing. I’m not sure why you’ve lost faith in them, it sounds like they are checking what they sell actually works as it should.

You can’t be forced to buy it but you will likely lose your deposit.
  • Candie
    Candie Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know I was thinking that - Better to know about and have the fault repaired now than after I buy it. It's a diesel and there's a problem with the injection which I think can potentially be an issue.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    Candie wrote: »
    I saw a second hand car I liked and put down a deposit. I was due to collect it today and the garage have said there is a fault on it and they have sent it to another garage to be fixed. They will update me when this has been done but it's made me rethink whether I want the car. I have signed a sales sheet but not, as it turns out in the correct place and I have paid a deposit.
    Can I change my mind as I have lost faith in the car and the company?

Why have you lost faith in the company?

They discovered a fault and are correcting it. !!!!!! they’ve even told you what they’re doing. :wall:
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    You won't be buying a faulty car. You'll be buying a repaired car.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Seriously run away. Find a car without any problems. If you take it reject it immediately if it is not absolutely perfect or just find some reason to reject it within the time limit.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    Seriously run away. Find a car without any problems. If you take it reject it immediately if it is not absolutely perfect or just find some reason to reject it within the time limit.
    Seriously you're not being serious, are you?
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There are plenty of used cars. I would want one that had been properly serviced and that worked perfectly. I have had cars that needed expensive repairs and every garage has said 'trade it in'. People have cars with intermittent problems that can't be fixed so they trade them in. So these cars are then sold on as second hand cars. Expensive repairs mean lots of disassembly and careful re-assembly. I have never experienced a garage that has been capable of doing that. Once a car has been seriously taken apart by a garage it is never the same again. There is a chance this car would be OK but I wouldn't risk it. I would move on. Injection on diesels = expensive. Fuel injectors for my diesel are £480 each.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's like they're honouring the warranty before they've even handed over they keys.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Scenario 1: pay deposit, buy car, drive away, notice serious fault, post 'what can I do' query to MSE, fret, worry, badger garage, get fault fixed, worry if car is going to break down for next 12 months.

Scenario 2: pay deposit, garage checks car, finds serious fault, sends car to get it fixed, keeps customer informed, customer gets working car, story ends.

Which would you prefer?
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure