DVLA medical group

Options
Does anyone else think that it is an injustice that once diagnosed with a mental health problem you are condemned to have this label forever?
This has to be declared to the DVLA, who can then revoke you licence. Don't inform them you run the risk of being fined.
The knock on effects- insurance costs double, frustration and stress caused by DVLA medical group can be traumatic.
Why is a mental health problem of more concern to them than say epilepsy?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Having epilepsy and having to deal with the DVLA medical dept every 3 years and having to pay ridiculous insurance premiums I'd say epilepsy is just as much a concern.

Any medical conditions that can impair your ability to drive is a concern. Only fair we let them carry out their assessments. I wouldn't want to kill someone or myself.
  • TheTalkingDead
    Options
    As I understand it, the DVLA always put you on a 1yr medical licence in your first year of notification of a medical condition they don't always Revoke a licence but would highly likely swap it out for a medical license that restricts you to under 3.2 tonnes, they used to revoke like taking back sweets form kids but got hit with court cases left right and centre.

I have a 12 month license after having a wrong diagnosis by my psychiatrist mentioned on the M2C medical questionnaire. I only had to notify them of my tablets but she put I take them for Bipolar and not anxiety so screwed me over, could go for a High court judicial review but that would cost money I don't have.

I see why people are put off and would risk it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I had to have my licence revoked almost 21 years ago when my epilepsy started, as i still have seizures i still don't drive, in fact i never will drive again even if the seizures stop.
    Not having a licence is not the end of the world, neither my oh or myself drive and we live in a rural location but it doesn't stop us from doing what we want to do, we just have to plan more carefully as we can't just jump in the car.
    OP comparing one condition with another is never fair, i'm sure i wouldn't want your problems but i'm certain you wouldn't want mine.
    Not having a go just being honest x
  • AliMT_2
    AliMT_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes I believe my psychiatrist screwed me up as well. Caused no end of stress when I thought they are there to help people. In my opinion they do not help, certainly has not happened to me. Mental health services have left me scarred for life. Been discharged for now, but I suspect they will find some way to get me back into their corrupt system.
  • AliMT_2
    AliMT_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes maybe. I only want to know why, when you are diagnosed with a MH problem, it stays on your records forever. Why can it not be deleted after a few years of relative sanity.
    I would contest that I never had a MH problem in the first place. As previous posts state I believe I was screwed over by the psychiatrist who told me I was imagining things. I did not, I have witnesses and proof that I was not lying.
  • TheTalkingDead
    Options
    AliMT wrote: »
    Yes maybe. I only want to know why, when you are diagnosed with a MH problem, it stays on your records forever. Why can it not be deleted after a few years of relative sanity.
    I would contest that I never had a MH problem in the first place. As previous posts state I believe I was screwed over by the psychiatrist who told me I was imagining things. I did not, I have witnesses and proof that I was not lying.

Because medical records are records of all your ailments, if it didn't the doctors wouldn't know your past history and it may delay medical treatment in an emergency.

I would contest I also have a medical mental health problem, but my loved ones and family say I do, I know I can be off and odd with my behaviour at times and am also physically disabled which doesn't help my mental health state but to me I'm me and I am normal, I'm told though that I don't know when I am well and when I am not and need treatment.

Unfortunately there are people who will attempt suicide by driving into walls or into lakes and rivers wrong way down a motorway, sometimes this goes horribly wrong and innocent lives are lost or changed forever from the unintended not fully thought out irrational process and medical state of trying to kill yourself whilst driving, this is why in the right circumstances we need the DVLA to intervein and take the privilege of driving away in order to protect the public, this is why the medical group is set up. Sometimes they make just and fair decisions, sometimes they get it wrong, sometimes its permanent sometimes its temporary.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 January 2019 at 1:49PM
    Options
    1st year of 3year at a time M.S. dvla medical licence.
    Only part I don't understand is what happens if I drive to hospital for yearly appointment and M.S. is found to have progressed, do I phone a taxi or get a lift home -only joking I'm sure as Neurologist explained recently DVLA will be informed if any deteriation in this illness.
    I've not done bad with insurance and heading for 3 yrs protected NCD in approx 2 weeks aster 1 fault claim during 2016 and 2 3rd parry faults during 2017 -delighted It;s now 2019 and re build ncd,
    I agree with others it's reposnsible to notify dvla -could avoid any insuarance being cancelled etc.
    What do others do to renew such a limited licence is it a simple only form or anything in addition.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure