Pension advice

Options
Hi everyone, first time posting for me. I’ve recently been awarded ill health retirement with enhancement. I’m a member of the civil service alpha scheme. Unsure what to do next. I’m quite young, 42 we paid our mortgage off a few years ago and my husband has money already set aside for a rainy day. I’ve been offered a pension of just under 12k or a lump sum of £50k and reduced pension of£7.5k . Just don’t know what to do.

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It probably makes a difference if your ill health condition is life limiting. Generally speaking it seems better to get the higher pension for the rest of your life if you have normal life expectancy. If not then the lump sum might be a more attractive option.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Options
    Louise321 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, first time posting for me. I’ve recently been awarded ill health retirement with enhancement. I’m a member of the civil service alpha scheme. Unsure what to do next. I’m quite young, 42 we paid our mortgage off a few years ago and my husband has money already set aside for a rainy day. I’ve been offered a pension of just under 12k or a lump sum of £50k and reduced pension of£7.5k . Just don’t know what to do.

£12,000 minus £7,500 is £4,500 so in 11 years, you'll be 53 and on a reduced pension. If it's indexed linked the break even point will be even sooner. As you're so young, I would say the commutation is not worth it. Lump sums look tempting but indexed linked income for the rest of your life should be considered carefully.

Turn it around and ask where you might get an indexed linked (assuming it is) return of £4,500 a year for a £50,000 investment. That's a 9% return when the banks are barely paying 1.5% for cash at the moment.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

You'll have to do the maths against your life expectancy and how much you need the lump sum, it doesn't sound as if you do. At £12k a year you wont be paying tax (assuming this is your only income) , so its as simple as 12-7.5 = 4.5, 50/4.5 = 11, do you expect to live longer than 11 years?

Or more immediately, what would your life style be like now with your income of either 12k or 7.5k? Do you need the full 12k?
  • Louise321
    Options
    That’s part of the problem, at the moment my condition is stable but that could change at any moment. I’m currently undergoing chemotherapy, already had 4 lots of surgery, radiotherapy and have to date had 12 months chemotherapy.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,220 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maybe you could ask your consultant what he thinks re normal life expectancy?
    You could then calculate an estimate for both options
  • Louise321
    Options
    Originally diagnosed jan 04 with a grade 2 astrocytoma (brain tumour), then needed further surgery may 06 and radiotherapy, then further surgery July 16, most recently surgery August 18 And currently undergoing chemotherapy. My consultant says that because of the type of brain tumour that I have they can’t really give a prognosis.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Are there any spouse benefits with your pension you need to bring into consideration?
  • Louise321
    Options
    My spouse will get 37.5% of the 12k regardless of what lump sum I take x
  • IanSt
    IanSt Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    Is there anything in particular that you would do if you took the £50k lump sum?

And if you did take the lower pension would you need to dip into the lump sum for day to day expenses?

If it were me, the security of the higher pension would likely be the choice I'd make, but If there were specific reasons for taking the £50k lump sum then that might be the best choice for you, and it is how you feel that is the one and only important question here.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Originally diagnosed jan 04 with a grade 2 astrocytoma (brain tumour), then needed further surgery may 06 and radiotherapy, then further surgery July 16, most recently surgery August 18 And currently undergoing chemotherapy. My consultant says that because of the type of brain tumour that I have they can’t really give a prognosis.

Pension aside- wishing you all the best! Jim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure