advice on next steps

Options
Looking for some advice.
Have 4 loans which had PPI which were with the FOS. The Bank have agreed that PPI was paid on 2 of them. The other 2, which have PPI according to the paperwork, the bank say that no PPI was paid, saying that paperwork does n;t necessarily mean you paid PPI for example, a 30 day cooling off period. These are old loans (early 90's) and my parents claim 'they never cooled off' and surely there was no way the bank willingly just took the PPI off after it was added by them. They are calculating the 2 they have agreed had PPI, but I would like to see evidence of no PPI being paid on the other 2 loans as it appears they have that.
Would the next course of action be to send a 'SAR' request as it appears they have more information on these loans (all the loans were in the 90's). Ideally we don't want to stop the calculation of the 2 loans they are currently calculating. would a 'SAR' request do that? On the other hand could they quickly get rid of the information they hold while calculating the 2 amounts. As you can tell, our trust in banks is small and any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The other 2, which have PPI according to the paperwork, the bank say that no PPI was paid, saying that paperwork does n;t necessarily mean you paid PPI for example, a 30 day cooling off period.

The PPI showing on the paperwork but no actual premium paid is not uncommon.
    but I would like to see evidence of no PPI being paid on the other 2 loans as it appears they have that.

You cant see evidence of something that does not exist. If it was there, it would show. If it was not there, then it would not show and you could not see it.
    Would the next course of action be to send a 'SAR' request as it appears they have more information on these loans (all the loans were in the 90's).

If you dont believe them then spend your £10 and put in that request.
    Ideally we don't want to stop the calculation of the 2 loans they are currently calculating. would a 'SAR' request do that?
    If the complaint is being dealt was as a collection of loans then you will need to delay accepting the offer as a full and final settlement of the complaint. (i.e. you cant accept the redress on the two as full and final settlement if you plan to continue the complaint beyond that point).
    On the other hand could they quickly get rid of the information they hold while calculating the 2 amounts. As you can tell, our trust in banks is small and any advice gratefully received.

You are asking if a staff member is willing to commit fraud. Possible but seeing as the staff member who deals with the SAR is not the person who sold the PPI, whey would they risk their job and possible imprisonment?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Itdoesnt_matter
    Options
    Before the end date for PPI reclaims I thought I would go back to the FOS on the 2 loans I thought had PPI but the bank said they didn't (always had a niggling doubt they were wrong). The FOS re-opened the case after looking at the original documents and the Bank have now agreed that there was PPI on those 2 loans. Will they go to prison? Although seriously be interested to see the course of action and why they couldn't see the PPI first time round.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    seriously be interested to see the course of action and why they couldn't see the PPI first time round.
    "It doesn't matter" :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport