Can I use husband's income to get 0% balance transfer credit card?

Options
Loopylou82
Loopylou82 Posts: 12 Forumite
edited 11 December 2019 at 9:25PM in Credit cards
I am currently a full time mum, working (very) part time. My husband took redundancy soon after we had our baby, ended up working part-time, now works full time but travels a fair way to get to work so spends a LOT on petrol. So our financial situation has been pretty dire recently, and for the first time in my life I've been using my credit card for grocery purchases, which I hate doing, but needs must. This particular credit card was 0% interest for about 2 years, but this 0% period ended in the summer. So for the first time ever I am paying interest, eurggh.

My husband is starting a new job soon, locally, so our situation will improve within the next few months hopefully. I would ideally like to get a 0% balance transfer credit card, especially as I will be working a bit more part-time, so will be earning a bit too. I'd like to transfer the £1000 or so from my current credit card, so I'm not paying interest on it. Having done the eligibility check on here, it looks like I could apply for a 24 months interest free one - I included my husband's income on the form, as it asked for personal income, and total household income. HOWEVER, when I did the bank's eligibility check, it only asked for my personal income, so it obviously came back as a no. Does anyone know whether when they do these credit checks, they take into account a joint income if the person applying is a "homemaker" and the other is working? Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    As the CRA's have no more idea of what your income is than I do. the question of income cannot be taken into consideration when doing a credit check. It will of course be taken into account by the lender in making their decision.
    You will need to apply to a lender who asks personal income and other household income on the application and of course be sure to enter your marital status as married. Then just hope for the best.
    Another alternative would be for your husband to apply for the card himself.
  • Loopylou82
    Options
    Thanks for your response! But if my husband were to apply, could I do a balance transfer from my credit card to his?!
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Loopylou82 wrote: »
    Thanks for your response! But if my husband were to apply, could I do a balance transfer from my credit card to his?!
    Possibly. Some cards forbid the transferring of any debt other than the main cardholder's own debt.

Someone will be on soon to tell you which these cards are. Santander (and possibly HSBC) used to, but my experience is not recent.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 11 December 2019 at 9:59PM
    Options
    In most cases yes although there are some exceptions.
    When done online the name of the cardholder is not usually asked.
    Another possibility would be for your husband to apply for a card which allows 0% money transfers then transfer the funds to his bank account. Once the money is in his account he can use it for any purpose he chooses.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You probably couldn't transfer between cards from the same lender. So if your debt is on a Barclaycard, he should apply for something different.

Tesco used to insist that you could transfer to your own account only. Perhaps they still have this restriction.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure