IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

What Happens After Most Appeals?

Options
2»

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The great strength of the courts is that each case is dealt with on its merits and the claimant has to prove their case. If they "get away with it", then the case hasn't been proven.

If you wish to be in a position to judge - apply to be a judge.

Maybe. But, I don't think it's impossible to judge from a thread that someone has, actually, committed the offence.

You would seem to agree from your comment here

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5856435&page=2#topofpage
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    We aren't acting as a judge/jury member in this forum!
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    From my own experience, a great many offenders are residents with two cars, and only one space. This encourages MA to appoint PPCs who then ticket properly parked residents for infringing their made up rules.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • NeilCr
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    We aren't acting as a judge/jury member in this forum!

Well. You are when it comes to PPCs!

I am not acting as judge and jury. If I was I'd be commenting on individual threads and picking on them. What I am saying is that some posters on here have actually "committed the crime" but with help from this forum (because of the rubbish way some PPCs go about their business) have got away with it. No problems because that is on the PPCs and those who employ them

Do you disagree?
  • NeilCr
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    From my own experience, a great many offenders are residents with two cars, and only one space. This encourages MA to appoint PPCs who then ticket properly parked residents for infringing their made up rules.

Absolutely, spot on. But there is someone who has flouted the rules to begin with.
  • Quentin
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Well. You are when it comes to PPCs!

I am not acting as judge and jury. If I was I'd be commenting on individual threads and picking on them. What I am saying is that some posters on here have actually "committed the crime" but with help from this forum (because of the rubbish way some PPCs go about their business) have got away with it. No problems because that is on the PPCs and those who employ them

Do you disagree?
    Of course

This forum helps. (Full stop!)

Not for us to decide on guilt or innocence!

The arms might be the place to discuss the rights and wrongs of parking crimes as you see them.

Not here in this forum - unless you have an agenda for this view!

Helpers aren't acting as judges at all - just offering help!
  • NeilCr
    edited 12 August 2018 at 6:58PM
    Options
    Of course

This forum helps. (Full stop!)

Not for us to decide on guilt or innocence!

The arms might be the place to discuss the rights and wrongs of parking crimes as you see them.

Not here in this forum - unless you have an agenda for this view!

Helpers aren't acting as judges at all - just offering help!

Just to check what you are disagreeing with. That some posters have, actually, done wrong and have got off because of the sheer ineptitude of the PPCs?

And, yes, this forum helps. Very well for some folks. It does what it says on the tin and is pretty effective in a number of cases. I admire, greatly, the input and sheer hard work and commitment of a small number of the regulars here.

And, maybe, this should be in the arms. But, you know, there is a whole lot of generalisation here about PPCs - you only have to look at The Deep's regular posts to see that so don't think my comments are unreasonable.

I have an agenda, yes. And that is to ensure that those selfish parkers who mess it up for others get their just desserts - within a fair and equitable system. Is there anything wrong with that?
  • Quentin
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Just to check what you are disagreeing with....
    Your accusation that I act as the judge/jury on the PPCS!

I just offer help to people - as do others.

You not happy with that is irrelevant

You are entitled to your opinion, but pointless using this forum to air it!

Especially pointless hijacking the OP's thread!
  • NeilCr
    edited 13 August 2018 at 7:09AM
    Options
    Your accusation that I act as the judge/jury on the PPCS!

I just offer help to people - as do others.

You not happy with that is irrelevant

You are entitled to your opinion, but pointless using this forum to air it!

Especially pointless hijacking the OP's thread!

But I am not unhappy that people give help here. Perhaps you can point out where I said that. Indeed in my last post I commented that that I greatly admire what some of the regular posters do.

What I was saying was that some people here "get away with it" because of the uselessness of the PPCs and the loopholes this causes. I have no idea whether or not you agree with this comment.

I did not hijack this thread. The estimable Umkomaas made a general comment which I responded to and it moved on from there. I don't quite understand why my opinion is pointless. Bit of a shame if some posters have such closed minds that they can't consider another point of view. I am quite happy to admit that I've changed my outlook on the use of PPCs since I turned up here,
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bit of a shame if some posters have such closed minds that they can't consider another point of view.

My earlier comment at #11 was badly phrased. We'll all have a view on the merits or otherwise of a case. We're only human.

We all recognise different aspects to a case based on our knowledge and experiences. Your's from an Resident's Association view will be helpful to some as they may not have twigged that RA's work to certain rules too.

The concern is that 2000 claims cases are opened and we rarely hear back as some OP's feel we are more judgmental than helpful. If someone is clearly taking the **** then they may get away with it once but the message will have got through which to all intents was the idea of the Supreme Court case anyway. It wasn't to line the pockets of the PPC's, it was to allow deterrence.

For comparison, when double lines are added to a council controlled street, there is an upsurge in tickets/revenue until the problem goes/moves. Income drops but the warden costs remain. Costs of lining/maintaining the lines may not have been recovered.

What happens with PPC's is that they have to continue to invent "rules" as they have the same economics which in time will see most close or change their approach. They won't disappear in the same way that council wardens haven't, they'll adapt as the parking wild west becomes less wild.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure